seven

When Jace sees no sight of Rue at the river, she continues running, Cato hot on her tail.

" Will you calm down?!" he exclaims, grabbing Ace's arm to stop her. "Eleven could be fine, so will you calm down?"

" I promised to keep her safe. And her name is not 'Eleven' it's Rue," she corrected him. Before he's able to attempt to calm her down more, the two hear a scream. Jace is the first runoff in the direction, Cato following after a moment of contemplating his choices.

As the screams get louder, smoke begins to arise around them as well. Nonetheless, the duo continues moving, stopping when they see a tree on fire, the flames slowly creeping to the top, where Rue subsides.

" You fucking monster!" Ace exclaims, making Cato turn his head, now noticing where Marcus had gone off to. The male has a devious grin on his face, turning to the two with a sword in hand.

" Oh come on! I just wanted a bonfire! And look, I knew you were a whore!" he chuckles, waving his sword between Cato and Jace. The female pulls her machete from her bag, her grip so tight her knuckles grow white.

" Fuck you." Without a second to think, Jace sprints towards the Marcus, swinging her weapon violently.

The two battle, Cato taking a moment to move past the two, climbing a tree beside the one Rue is trapped in. When he's nearly beside her, he sits atop a branch, waving his arms towards her. " Rue, I need you to jump. I'll catch you." The girl can only her head in fear, from both the Career beside her and the flames beginning to burn the rubber of her shoes.

Marcus is able to knick Ace below her rib, only making the girl more aggressive. Thanks to his strength and size, he's able to knock her to the ground. He sits on top of her waist, his hands going to her neck, cutting off her air.

" Please, Rue!" Cato begins to beg, his eyes moving between the girl and Ace in trouble. " I need to help her!" Rue looks down, seeing the flames so close she could touch it before looking to see Jace really is in trouble.

Finally, Rue jumps the best she could to the other tree. However, her footing slips, her hand barely in the grasp of Cato's. His shoulder seems to dislocate with the amount of weight placed on it, as Rue dangles so high above the ground. As the entire tree catches aflame, as do the branches, which are beginning to light the tree Cato and Rue are on.