Chapter 1

I set foot on the frosty pavement. It was cracked and decayed. Every step I took sent seismic waves into the cracks, making them bigger and more brittle. I was in the wilderness and far from any living thing. I was trying to get to my cousin Laura's house but right now, that seemed impossible.

The atmosphere was an eerie blue and sent off this dark aura to whoever entered it. I had this suspending feeling that there was something out there, waiting for me.

I shrugged it off and took careful, baby steps on my walk. The trees were silent and still and the clouds were descending down from the heavens. My breathing became more subtle and my senses were all over the place. I still suspended the nerve-racking thought out my mind and just focused on getting out of here.

The wind blew wildly around me, sending frightening chills down my spine. It made my hairs stood up in fright and my body grew cold. It was like I was trapped in an endless vortex.

I stopped and rested on a lifeless tree. I felt draining energy as if it was feeding something. Soon enough, my blood ceased to flow so I hastily took my hand off. I was in an environment similar to a nightmare as there seemed no way out but nevertheless, I kept walking, making a mental image of my route.

I was cold and almost close to starvation, the humidity was deceiving as it may seem hot but it felt like the air had frozen itself. My lungs were scared to breathe the intoxicating air as I began to feel a dazed sensation.

I needed to move quickly if I was going to find a way out of here.

I tried to quicken my pace as fast as I could but the thorns and trees were trying to stop me by tripping me continuously. I halted, there lay ahead, far and wide...

My doom.

There, amongst the midst, with its beady red eyes, was watching and waiting. I quickly turned around and I took off with it closely behind. It had hunger in its eyes, the blood of my family was obviously not satisfying enough for it so it has come for me. The wind was blowing violently around us, making an impression of a howl. The beast's snarls were very close to my ear and the growling from down his throat made me wince in fear and dread. I increased my speed with the beast doing the same.

My feet were pattering against the cold stones and his were thumping against them.

He was gaining on me...

Quickly, I ducked under the trees and the branches slapped him across the face. I did a mental high-five to myself and continued proceeding through the forest but was soon running out of steam so I stopped. I puffed greatly, there was a beating going round my head as I tried to gain my strength back. I looked around and it seemed like a lost him.

For now.

My eyes became weary as my surroundings seemed so slur in my vision. The area was desolated, dreary, deserted and destroyed. The clouds were bleak and shadowed over the wilderness like a blanket. The trees were colourless and showed no sign of hope in them, the air was of a different aroma, a deadly one. I suddenly heard the snarl of the devil himself, hurling after me so the chase resumed.

My determination was high but my stamina was low. His razor-sharp teeth were soaked in saliva and were like vampire daggers hanging out of his mouth. He was so ready to sink them into me. My tears clouded my fear and soon my eyes impersonated the clouds above me. The contact of the paw to ground by the beast invaded my ear and irritated my nerves. I would lose all strength if I kept going but I had to.

I kept ducking, dodging, jumping and running and swooning through the narrow ways, making sure he was well behind.

Suddenly, I saw my escape.

A long bridge to the other side of what seemed like an unusual forest. I decided there was no time to spare and quickly rushed to get to the bridge. The beast got angrier and increased its speed. My time was on the edge so I needed my last stretch of energy to count.

I jumped over the horizon and zoomed towards the bridge. I pushed through all the physical barriers within me and raced towards the other side. The beasts' hunger grew more and it was on my tail. Tears were pouring out of my face as I lept off into the other side and into a bush. The creature luckily didn't know where I landed and so it walked around and I stayed hidden.