Chapter 11

We were walking through the trees, Athena kept pushing vines and branches out of our way. It seemed to be afternoon since i could faintly see the sun covered by the clouds. This part of the forest was kind of dense but i still could see ahead even though it was dim still.

"So will your cousin accept me or nah?" Athena asked with her back turned to me.

"Sure she's really nice," I said.

"I hope she's not as dumb as you," she said snickering. I rolled my eyes and we continued walking through the bushy forest.

When we came across a clear but rocky space she stopped.

"Wait i can smell something".

We crouched and waiting. I could hear Athena sniffing as if she's sensing something. It wasn't long till a pack of wolves came and it looked like one had something in his mouth. They all sat down in the middle and devoured the poor thing.

"How do we get across?" I asked with worry.

"We just go quietly around" she said and turned towards the left. I followed her and we were crawling through the dirt. Athena kept her eyes sharply on the wolves and i tried not to step on any twigs. Athena snaked through the lower branches and she seemed to be very flexible. I kept having this feeling that they knew we were here.

We crawled and crawled until we were in the middle part. It was then one wolf suddenly poked his head out in our direction and stared directly, intensily into our eyes.

We froze.

He kept staring and then let out a menacing growl which alerted the other wolves. They all turned towards us. I began to panic and sweat started to form on my face. Athena slowly came backwards towards me.

"When i say three, you jump onto my back and then we run for it, okay?"

I mouthed okay to her and she counted down. As soon as she hit three the wolves started racing towards us and Athena jumped in the air and changed into a cheetah. I got onto her back and she started to run really fast.

She raced through the forest and everything was going in a blur. She spun in the air as she got through a narrow space and continued running. When we hit a particular large tree, she climbed onto a branch and changed into a monkey then swung me up higher by her tail. She then changed back to her normal self and climbed to where i was.

We waited for a while until we saw the wolves run past our tree.

"That was really good," i said and high fived her.

"Thanks," she said blushing. We got down from the tree and continued walking.

"So how many of you were in your family?" Athena asked curiously.

"There were 5 of us, Me and my parents and two younger sisters". I said sadly.

"Aww sounds sweet, i'm sorry you had to lose them," Athena said sympathetically.

"Its okay".

"How did you escape?"

"Well i managed to climb through my bedroom window before he got to me".

"Ah nice and i'm guessing he jumped and started chasing you?"

"Yes that's right. She looked at me and looked away and we continued walking.

"What about you? How many were in your family?" I asked.

"There were 6 of us. Same as you but i also had an older sister," she said having her head down.

"Aw its okay," i said and gave her a cuddle. She smiled and it felt like everything in the world seemed alright for now.