Happy Camper

I walked down the rocky path dragging my suitcase behind me. I was struggling but I could see the huge sign that read "Welcome to Camp Zunie" only a few feet from me. I used the little energy I had and walked and plopped down on a bench outside the main office. I took some time to catch my breath before entering.

I decided to use this time to take in the scenery. I was surrounded by tall green trees. You could hear toads croaking and bugs chirping in the distance. It was very calming and totally different from the city in a good way. I looked at all of the cabins surrounding the campgrounds.

My eyes then land on the lake. The sun was setting and you could see its reflection on the lake. I then spotted a boy sitting on the docks with his feet dangling off the edge. I wasn't wearing my glasses so I couldn't really make out his features.

"Hi, may I help you?" I heared a female voice scare me from my thoughts.

"Oh Hi, I'm Eudoria. I'm supposed to start today as a camp counselor." I said extending my hand out for her to shake.

(Her name is pronounced u-door-e-ah)

"Oh come were about to start orientation follow me."

She tells me to set my luggage inside and she leads me on a short walk through the woods to a campfire. There are about 15 other people surrounding the fire chatting who I assume are also camp counselors. I see an empty chair and make my way over to it to sit down.

I observe all the camp counselors getting along well. I got really anxious for some reason being around a huge group of people.

"You nervous?" I hear a female voice say next to me in a friendly tone.

I look over and make eye contact with a girl who is light skinned and also has freckles and curly black hair. I couldn't tell if she was Asian or Black. Or a mixture of both.

"Yeah, just a little. I'm trying to get used to being around big groups of people."

"You'll warm up sooner or later everyone here is pretty cool and some are..." She said trailing off.

"Some are what?"

"Well, it's just best to just stay out of some people way. I'm not going to say any names though." She says saying the last line a little louder for someone to obviously hear her.

"Man shut up Dio you always gossiping." I hear a deep voice say from behind us.

I turn around to see a boy leaning against a tree. He has on a red hoodie that has the name of the camp on it. He's also wearing black jeans and some white crocs. He has a dangling cross earring and he also has a nose piercing. He has nice clear brown skin that is inked with tattoos. To top the look off he's wearing a white durag.

He was super cute and I got nervous and looked away.

"What it's the truth! You're always grumpy."

I heard him say something along the lines of 'man whatever' and walk away. I realized that he was the boy I saw earlier on the docks.

"So what's his story?" I say genuinely curious about the boy.

"His name is Stokeley but he hates when we call him that. So most of the time we call him Ski. I honestly don't know what his problem is. Sometimes he's super cool and fun and other times he can be really mean and distant. His mom is the program director so she makes him work here even though he hates it."

I just nodded my head while looking at him from across the campfire. He suddenly looked at me and we made eye contact. We starred at each other for about 15 seconds. It was almost as if he were trying to assert his dominance and make me back down. Which he definitely did and I looked away.

After about 10 minutes of waiting the orientation started. Everyone went around in a circle and introduced themselves and told one cool fact about themselves or whatever.

It finally got around to my turn and I stood up and introduced myself. A small group of boys said "Hello Eudoria" as if we were in a AA meeting which made me laugh a bit.

"I'm really good at doing handstands." That's the only thing I could think of.

"Lemme see you buss one then!" I heard someone shout. I looked over to where it came from and there was a boy with blue dreads in a bun. I could see the Ski laughing at the boy's remark.

I pretended to crack my knuckles and did a perfect handstand for about 10 seconds before coming down. Some of the counselors clapped as I did a theatre bow. I could see Ski smirking at me from the corner of my eye.

As the orientation was wrapping up the director was then putting us in activity groups. I heard her call my name for canoeing and for arts and craft. I carefully listened to who my partner or partners would be for those activities.

I heard her call Ski's name for canoeing and fishing. For some strange reason, my heart fluttered and I could feel my anxiety kicking in. I'm not going to lie I did have a bit of a crush on Ski. I don't know what it was about him but I was just drawn to him.

I sat and listened to hear who my partner for arts and crafts was. I heard her call out Jahseh. I looked around to see if anyone stood out and I noticed a boy already walking towards me.

He was the guy from earlier that told me to do the handstand. I smiled looking at him knowing I'm partnered with someone with some sort of humor.

"AYE AYEEEEE what's up partner?" he said in a southern accent which made me laugh.

"Ready to teach some kids how to make friendship bracelets?" I said snickering.

"You already know I am!" He said yelling. Jahseh was really funny and loud and I liked that about him. He sort of brought me out of my shell in a way. So I knew that our partnership would be interesting and fun.

I could see Ski coming toward us and I instantly diverted my eyes back to Jahseh and gave him a nervous smile. He looked at me weird and turned around to look at Ski. He then looked back at me and smirked knowingly. Fuck he knows. Just then Ski finally made his way in front of me.

"Hey, I just wanted to tell you I've been leading canoeing for a while now. So just fall in line and let me do most of the leading ok?"

Who does he think he is? He literally has me messed up if he thinks he can just boss me around because he has seniority over me. I'm not the one to let people walk all over me.

"Yeah sure I got you"

He just nods his head at me and Jahseh and walks away. Why am I like this?