14. The men who waited

(Doctor Who crossover - set during Rory's 2000 year wait and after Merlin's season 5 finale... I think you may know where this is going.
Also, I'm sorry it's been so long. I had no time and no inspiration but uh... here you go! )

A strangled sob sounded through the air, echoing so thunderously that the waters of Avalon rippled in shared anguish. Blue eyes filled with salt water before spilling out over the manservant's pale cheeks as he watched the burning boat sink into the lake. A painful scream ripped its' way through Merlin's throat as the boat finally disappeared into the water; golden light exploding from the boy, shooting out in every direction. The blast was so forceful that it shook the very earth and blew the trees so far back that they almost snapped, some did. The birds that had been chirping finally muted, the wind halted and the animals of the woods fell silent. The only sound that could be heard was the constant, pain-filled sobbing of the grieving manservant. He stayed there for hours, unmoving. He stared dejectedly out at the lake as tears cascaded silently down his face, letting out the occasional gasp or sob every once in a while.

Merlin didn't hear the sound of horses approaching him, nor did he hear the two dismount. He didn't even notice their presence until a gentle hand touched Merlin's shoulder and he flinched, his head snapping round to whoever disturbed him. It was only Gwen, Leon standing off to the side, tending to the horses.

"Gaius told me I might find you here." She explained softly, sitting down beside him, "It's not your fault, you know?" She whispered, resting her head on his shoulder. Gwen's eyes were red and bloodshot from tears and her hair was pulled back into a messy plait, a few strands hung loosely over her face.

"Isn't it?" He responded miserably.

"There was nothing you could have done, Merlin." She let out a heavy sigh, lifting her head from her best friend's shoulder, "Did... did you hear about Gwaine?"

"What? What happened to Gwaine?" Merlin's head whipped to face Gwen, who's head was bowed respectfully. His breathing picked up again in terror.

"It was Morgana... she... she tortured him. Percival brought him back to Camelot but he was long gone by then... there was nothing Gaius could do." She choked out, putting her head in her hands.

'No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. He can't be. Not Gwaine. Impossible. He couldn't. He just couldn't. Not Gwaine' Merlin's thoughts ran rampant. Tears began to prick his eyes again at the thought. Gwaine had once said that he was his best and only friend, and now Merlin had failed him too.
"Not Gwaine too." Was all Merlin could muster under the gravity of the news, his voice cracking with emotion. Salt water began free falling down his cheeks again.

"Merlin, it's not your fault. You can't blame yourself. This was Morgana's doing." Gwen placed a tentative hand on the manservant's shoulder, "I... I know what you did out there..."

"What do you... what do you mean?" Merlin asked all too hesitantly.

"Merlin... it's okay." Gwen smiled lightly, "I saw you. I saw how you defeated Morgana's army... with your magic."

"I...I-I don't know what you mean... that... that was an old man. It couldn't have been me." He fumbled for an excuse.

"Don't worry, Merlin. I won't tell." She rested her head on Merlin's shoulder once more, "unless... unless I restore magic to Camelot. When I become... when I become ruling queen." She choked on her words, they didn't feel right in her mouth.