-6- A Run Into Disaster

6:30 a.m. "Riding through this world, all alone. God takes your soul, you're on your own..." This Life by Curtis Stigers and The Forest Rangers begins to play. I reach over to my phone and notice 3 unread texts. I go into my bathroom and splash some water on my face to wake myself up a bit more. I sit back down on my bed and read the first message.

From: Mama Bear | 6:17 a.m.

Working late tonight baby, hope everything went well yesterday. Madison told me you're working again today and tomorrow so I'll see you when I see you. There's some money on the table in the kitchen for you, love you xx

To: Mama Bear | 6:34 a.m.

Thanks mum, hope work goes okay, love you too x

The next message was off an unsaved number.

From: Unknown Number | 6:21 a.m.

Hi Lexi, I just want to say thank you again for looking after the kids. Aidan was excited to know that you'll be back tomorrow and Wednesday, you certainly made an impression. I'll leave you some money in an envelope if you want to take the kids anywhere. Mads x

I save her number into my contacts and smile but decide against responding for now, I'll text her later to let her know if I do end up taking the kids out. The last text is off a number I have never seen before and is just one word.

From: Unknown Number | 6:26 a.m.

Sorry.

In all honesty, I'm a little weirded out and confused so I ignore the text. I check today's timetable on my phone to find out I have IT with Jones first lesson, a free second, IT with Dixon third, a free fourth and then psychology with Mills last. Knowing I have a last lesson and that it ends at 3:00 p.m. I start to panic about being at the primary school in time to pick up the kids. I get dressed into my usual black jeans and leavers hoodie with a Black Stone Cherry concert t-shirt underneath, after all it saves me having to wear my blouse and tie. I unplug my phone and put the charger in my bag, grab my psychology folder and make my way into the kitchen to get a drink and wrap from the fridge to take to school. I pull out my phone once more to check the time and end up texting Lyla.

To: Lyla | 7:44 a.m.

Hey boo, do you need a lift to school? I'm leaving now so I can pick you up on the way even if you're already at the bus stop xo

She replied almost instantly.

From: Lyla | 7:46 a.m.

OMG. Save me from these devil spawn. Thanks love, you're my hero xo

I let out a belly laugh at her exaggeration even though I agree with her completely. Those year 7s may as well be reincarnations of the devil. As soon as I passed my driving test and got a car I knew I wouldn't be getting the school bus for the rest of the year. I grab my things and make my way to the car. I pull up to the bus stop where Lyla is and put on Hero by Enrique Iglesias as she walks over to the car and gets in the passenger seat. As soon as she hears the music she glares at me. If looks could kill then I most definitely would be six feet under right now.

We pull into school and get out of the car, grabbing our things from the backseats. Lyla walks over to my side of the car as I lock it and links arms with me. We walk into school together and wait for 10 minutes before the bell rings. I make my way to IT with Jones and notice all of the popular group are already in their seats. They turn around in their chairs as the door creaks. I make eye contact with Daniel and shift my gaze over to Tyler and offer him a smile. I walk to my seat in the corner in silence, pulling my headphones out of my bag ready for me to plug them into my phone. The lesson goes the same as the usual, the popular group being rowdy while I'm trying to concentrate. After the lesson I walk up to the study room in another building and make my way over to my usual area.

*5 hours later*

I start bouncing my left leg up and down as my anxiety begins to settle in about being able to pick the kids up in time. Miss Mills lets the class go a couple of minutes early and I rush to gather up my things. I put my bag on my left shoulder and pick up my folder before practically running out of the door. I make my way towards the gate by the yard and run into a hard surface. I feel a pair of arms wrap around me to steady my wobbling.

"Wow Lexi, saved you again. You know I thought I already apologised. Was there any need for this?"

Not this, not now. I look up into piercing blue eyes, making a breath catch in my throat ending in a lump being formed. I give him an apologetic look and mouth 'sorry' before rushing off towards my car. As soon as I park my bum into the driver's seat I take a moment to compose myself and my breathing. What did he mean he already apologised? Was the text from him?