-18- Chameleon Level: 100

The bell starts ringing and people start to get into the IT room. I decided to sit in the opposite corner of the room to where I usually sit so I can just fade away.

"Lexi?" Mr Jones calls out my name for the register.

"Here." I put my right headphone back in and focus on the music playing. I get lost in the work and before I know it the bell is ringing for second lesson. I log off and pick up my phone from the desk. I make my way out of the room as fast as possible and head over to the study room. I managed to sit in an area where people would always go. I sat in the back of the group so I could easily blend in with them and avoid talking to people unless being specifically spoken to. I left one headphone in so I could carry on listening to music but when Things My Father Said came on I had to change it. I picked up my phone and noticed a notification. I unlocked the phone to change the song and then opened it.

From: Unknown Number | 9:52 a.m.

Glad you finally heard what your mum and Cody were trying to say. Just goes to show he doesn't actually care about you.

I lock my phone and try to distract myself from the text. The rest of the day goes by fairly quickly without anything standing out of the ordinary. I leave school early to go home and get changed into jeans and a jumper before making my way to pick up the kids from school. I wait outside the passenger seat door and look out for the two of them knowing that now they know what my car looks like they'll be able to spot me. After waiting for anything in between 5 or 10 minutes and the car park clearing and not seeing the kids come out of the building I go and check where they are.

"Umm...Mrs Evans. Hi, I came to pick up Aidan and Taylor but I couldn't see them come out of the building. Is everything okay? Are they still here? Oh god, what if they couldn't see me."

"Lexi, it's okay. Daniel came to pick them up about 20 minutes ago. They must be at home by now." A sense of relief washes over me, I thank Mrs Evans and make my way to Madison's house. I walk through the front door and Taylor runs over to me. I pick her up and squeeze her lightly. I wave over to Aidan who is sat on the sofa watching tv.

"You had me worried there for a minute."

"LEXI? Is that you?" I hear a shout from the kitchen that sounds like Daniel.

"Yeah it is." I carry Taylor into the kitchen and set her down on one of the seats before walking over to Daniel with my arms crossed across my chest.

"Daniel, why didn't you tell me you'd pick them up? I got worried that they couldn't see me and walked off somewhere else."

"I did try to. It's not my fault you blanked everyone in IT today is it?"

"Well..." His eyes start to widen before I turn around and direct my attention towards Taylor.

"So Little Miss Trouble, what did you do in school today?" I lead her back out into the living room, leaving Daniel in the kitchen. We sit down together on the sofa and Tay starts to tell me about all the countless things she did in school. I was too focused on what Daniel would say to me after not exactly answering him in the kitchen and why he was with Skylar. Before I know it the kids are excited about having food and run to the kitchen to ask Daniel what he's cooking. It takes me a while to gather the energy to face him but I reach the kitchen in next to no time.

"I'll let you have the food but only if you sit down patiently first. It's...drum roll please...chicken fillets and potato waffles." He lays the plates down in front of the two of them and then offers me a plate. I shake my head and offer a smile as if to say when I'm ready. I grab myself a glass of apple juice before sitting down with the three of them at the table. I wait for each of them to finish before grabbing the plates and head over to the sink to do the dishes.

"Lexi, you don't have to do that." I hear Daniel say but I wave him off and carry on. I hear footsteps leave the kitchen but I don't pay attention to who left.

"I'm serious Lexi. Let me help."

"No it's okay. You cooked it all so let me clean up." Truth is, I want any distraction to keep me from thinking of him and Skylar together.

"Can I at least stay in here or will you physically push me away as well as mentally?"

"Do whatever you want. It's your house." I shrug as I reply and turn my focus back to the dishes.

"Speak to me, please. What's wrong?" I shrug again in response and carry on with the washing up. I just finish and reach over to get a dish towel to dry the dishes. Before I grab one of the plates I feel hands on my shoulders and my body being turned around to face Daniel. He uses his thumb to lift my chin up to look him in the eye - I look everywhere but his eyes.

"Don't you have another girl to do this to? You did this morning." I move his hands from my shoulder and turn back around to finish the dishes before putting them away. The whole time having Daniel stand behind me in shock. After finishing the cleaning up I turn towards Daniel and wave in front of his eyes.

"Mr Robot. Anyone in there?"

"Yeah...uhh...umm...you saw that earlier hm. I can explain."

"Explain what? There's nothing to explain, you don't owe me anything. Just be careful with her please. She's hard work. Trust me, I'd know." I make my way out of the kitchen and over to the sofas. My phone buzzes in my pocket so I grab it and unlock it to view the text.

From: Lyl | 6:34 p.m.

Spoke to Josh, the whole Skylar thing was a misunderstanding. She made a pass at Daniel, Josh AND Tyler but none of them gave in. He's safe from my wrath.

I smile at the text before heading straight back into the kitchen. Daniel is sat at the table with his head in his hands. I walk to the seat next to him and grab both of his wrists and pull them down slowly so he doesn't hit his head on the table unlike what the girls did to me. He looks me in the eye, his pleading.

"I'm sorry Danny Boy. I know what happened...Josh told Lyl, who then told me. I have history with Skylar and I jumped to the wrong conclusion so I'm sorry." He smiles and wraps one arm around my neck in a playful way.

"It's okay, just don't ice me out next time." I laugh and pull away from him before getting up from the table and heading out of the kitchen.

"Lexi, wait." I pause just as I reach the doorway. "I didn't have any training today so if you want the night off then that's okay. I'll be okay with the monkeys, I hope."

"Okay, but if not then ring me straight away." He nods and smiles. I make my way to say goodbye to the kids for today and that I'll see them either tomorrow or the day after. Just as I reach my car my phone starts ringing.

"Hello?"

"Lexi, I'm ringing you. I lied, I won't be okay with the monkeys, they're little shi-"

"Don't call them that! I'll be back now." I hang up and laugh before heading back into the house only to be welcomed by shouting.

"Danny! Why did you tell her to leave?! Are we seriously stuck with you all night and not Lexi keeping you from going insane?! Ugh." Well then Aidan.

"Aidan! I'm back, don't kill Old Danny Boy okay?" I hear running in my direction. I stupidly think it would be Aidan or Taylor and it turning out to be Daniel. He runs straight at me, picks me up and swings me around.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Oh. My. God."

"Um...Dan, put me down, please. Oh my Jesus, this is worse than playing dizzy dinosaurs. DAN!"

My feet touch the floor as quickly as they left it and I stumble into Daniel. We both start laughing before realising Aidan and Taylor are stood grinning at us.