-13- Making an Appearance

Friday. The one day where I have no lessons whatsoever seeing as I finished all of my careers work. I wake up to my phone buzzing on the bed-side table. I pick up my phone and press the answer button. In my muffled, just woke up, voice I manage to make a few words.

"Hello? Who's ringing?"

"Lexi? Have you seriously only just woken up? You're late." A very angry Daniel was on the other side of the phone.

"What time is it? What am I late for? I didn't have any lessons today, why would I have anything to be late for? I'm not working today either as far as I've been told." He pauses for a few moments realising he shouldn't have woken a sleeping Lexi Ferratt, she'll turn crazy and hold it against you.

"Righhht. Well get up, it's 11:08 exactly. I have to ask you something. At least let me into the warmth though." My eyes widen in horror at his words. Is he here? I check by looking out of the window and see a tall, muscular figure waving at me. I jump back from the window before hesitantly making my way downstairs to let him in.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It's freezing out there." I stare at him with a deadpan expression. There's a moment, or a few, of complete silence. I sigh and open my mouth to talk.

"Daniel. Are you going to ask me what you wanted to or not?" He simply nodded. I led him into the kitchen so I could get myself some hot chocolate and offer him some too, he quickly accepts the offer. Once I finish making them I set them down on the table and gesture for him to take a seat.

"Okay well, how do I put this? Um... I know you tend to only sing with your friends but would you want to do a duet with me from time to time, either on karaoke nights or on an open mic night?" He starts to fidget with his hands and bounce his leg in a nervous manner. I reach out my hand to rest it onto his shoulder to try to tell him not to be nervous before he grabs my hand and swats it away.

"That sounds like it could be fun. What were you thinking of doing?"

"Well I was thinking maybe we could make an appearance every now and then as a surprise duo but not every time. We could practice whenever you come to babysit," that's if Madison even keeps me as a babysitter, "We could do any music we both want. How about we both start by choosing two songs each and then the other has to listen to both of the songs put forward before we decide on a final two?" I nod and smile, which he reciprocates.

Later that day I sat on my bed watching some YouTube videos on my laptop. Daniel had gone back home or to school after he had finished his hot chocolate. We made general conversation and I was happy to be in his company, now that he wasn't a sour-faced asshole. I heard my phone buzz before I rushed to reach it.

From: Madison | 2:57 p.m.

Hey Lexi, I just wanted to say that the first few times you've looked after the kids have been great. They've loved having you around and haven't stopped going on about how you sing with them in the car rides. Thank you so much but would you be able to work tomorrow too? I know it's a Saturday so if you have plans that's alright. Thank you for doing a great job so far – Mads x

To: Madison | 3:02 p.m.

Hi Madison. Tomorrow sounds great to me. Thank you as well, I have a job I actually enjoy thanks to the kids – Lexi.