-22- Watch Your Back

Cody. I wince at the pain in my side.

"What are you doing here Lexi? Answer me damn it."

"Like I wrote on the note, I'm here to help Madison. This is my job Cody. Please just stay out of this and leave. The note was for mum."

"Too bad I got home first then. I saw Madison leaving not long ago AND I'm pretty sure you're job doesn't require you to move in with them, with him." I grab my bag from my car and slam the door shut, locking the car in the process. I step away from him, letting his harsh words sink in.

"This time, it does. Please leave, Cody."

"I'm not going anywhere until you agree to come home."

I hear a car coming down the street and to my horror, it's Daniel with the kids.

"I'm not going home, not yet." I try to walk away but he grabs hold of my arm.

"Yes you are." As soon as he says those words I hear a door slam, just one.

"Let go of her Cody." Daniel speaks in a way that I've never heard him speak before, he was almost growling.

"And what are you going to do if I don't?" Cody bites back. My eyes dart to Daniel's car, I can see the Aidan trying to keep Taylor distracted with Daniel's phone. Daniel squares up to Cody, emphasising their height and build difference. Cody tries to look like he isn't bothered by it but he let's go of my arm in defeat.

"Fine, you get her this time. Just remember, she's mine." Cody backs away with a smirk on his face before walking around the corner. I hear a car door slam and an engine start before it drives away. He's gone. My shoulders slump and I go to lean on my car.

"Lexi, are you alright?" Daniel rushes towards me and pulls me close to him.

"I will be. Thank you. Are the kids ok?" I look back towards Daniel's car.

"They're alright, I saw what was happening and gave Aidan my phone so that him and Taylor could choose their own music and told them to stay until I went to get them. Besides, they're not who I'm worried about right now. Are you sure you're ok?" I squeeze my arms around him and nod slightly.

"I'm so sorry I brought that here." I sigh in defeat, realising that my eyes were beginning to water.

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. Just tell me one thing, please?" I nod and wait for him to ask, "It was Cody wasn't it? The bruise?" My arms drop from around his waist as I whisper a 'yes'. Daniel grabs my hand and picks up my duffel bag from the ground. He leads me over to where his car is parked where he knocks on the window, with the hand holding mine, where Aidan is sat and he cocks his head towards the house to indicate that they can get out of the car now.

At the sight of me, both Aidan and Taylor rush out of the car and wrap their arms around each side of me. I smile down at both of them and wrap my arms around them too. We make our way towards the front door, the kids first, then me and then Daniel checking outside before stepping in and closing the door behind him.

The kids settle on the sofas and start to watch TV while I make my way towards the kitchen. Daniel is only a few steps behind me. I go to sit down at the table and Daniel sits next to me, resting his arm on the back of my chair.

"You don't have to tell me what's happened but I'd like to know so I'm here when you're ready." He goes to stand up and leave but I grab his arm before he can move.

"It's just what he's like, I'm used to it now. He doesn't want me to be around you, or the other guys for that matter, anymore. His warped way of thinking convinces him that he's doing it to protect me." I shrug in a sarcastic way, not knowing how else to word it.

"What is it that you want?"

"Of course I want to still see and speak to you guys. Especially you."

"One more question, sorry, but when did he hurt you?" I hesitate before answering.

"A couple of nights ago. The night you rang me about when your mum was going on her work trip." He nods slowly, taking in what I said.

"That makes sense now."

"Daniel...." He looks into my eyes, "I really, truly, am sorry for bringing that whole mess here. If the kids had seen or left the car I don't know what could've happened." I look away from his and start to fiddle with my hands.

"Lexi," he rests one hand on my hands before continuing, "The kids are completely fine, ok? And don't be sorry, please. You've done nothing wrong, it's Cody that has. I'm here and I won't let anything happen." After a pause of what felt like a lifetime, Daniel let's go of my hands and stands up.

"I'm going to check on the kids, ask them what takeaway they want and then order it. I'll be right back."

"Thank you, Dan." I smile at him before getting up from the table and following him into the living room. He starts to talk to the kids but Taylor gets up from the sofa and walks towards me. I pick her up and she whispers 'can we watch Moana?' I nod and whisper 'We can, I'll ask the boys if they want to as well, if they say no we can watch it in another room to them, yeah?' she smiles as I put her back down on the ground.

We decided to order pizza and cookie dough again, before long it had already arrived and we had settled on the sofas to watch Moana, after managing to persuade the boys to watch it too. The film starts as I look over to Daniel only to find him already looking at me. He offers me a smile, which I return.