-16- Sweet Lullabies

Not long after Daniel told me what was wrong he joined me and the kids downstairs. He brought his guitar with him and Aidan and Tay beamed with excitement.

"Do you want to hear me and Lexi sing together?" I blush in embarrassment but Tay tugs on my arm and smiles so sweetly that I couldn't turn it down. I make my way over to sit on the opposite sofa next to Daniel. He takes out his phone and points to Peace Is Free and I nod.

The guitar starts off slowly and I nod to Daniel telling him to sing the first verse.

"Everybody feels blue sometimes, you got to keep your head up and keep on trying, and if you feel the urge to raise your hand you can start a revolution, or start a band. You better sing your song and sing it loud, but you better do it here and you better do it now. Cause this is one short life that we live, you got to listen people, this is what my song says."

"Don't you bring your sadness down on me when peace is free. There's a sun up ahead brother, waiting on me, can't you see." I sing with him on the chorus and he lightly nudges me to tell me to sing the second verse.

"I know times can get a little tough, you got to lean on me brother you can't give up. Forget about your problems and forget about your pain. Raise up our glasses and forget about our hate."

"Don't you bring your sadness down on me when peace is free. There's a sun up ahead brother, waiting on me, can't you see."

"I know, I know, it sounds so bad. But if you want we'll take a stand." I let Daniel sing on his own before joining in again for the rest of the song.

"Don't you bring your sadness down on me when peace is free. There's a sun up ahead brother, waiting on me, can't you see. Can't the whole world love one another, throw down your weapons, and fix all the hunger. Don't you bring your sadness down on me when peace is free. When peace is free."

We look at each other smiling before we look over to the kids who are showing off the same smile as we are. I notice Tay starts to yawn.

"Tay, do you need to go to bed now?" She yawns again and nods slowly as if disappointed to not be able to hear us sing more. I walk over to her and Aidan and pick her up before walking upstairs to her room. I lay her down in bed and go to turn off the light only to find Daniel standing in the doorway with his guitar.

"Danny, are you singing for me? You haven't for ages." He walks over to the side of Taylor's bed and nods.

"I will, but only if you get some sleep for me afterwards." She nods in response while I look on in awe at how calm Daniel is when he's around his siblings. He starts to play a guitar version of a song I recognise that is usually played on piano.

"The things my father said would make me a better man. Hard work and the love of friends, a woman that understands. I hope my father knows the seeds we've sewn still grow. At night I go to sleep and pray he's watching over me."

"Somewhere there's a star that's shining so bright that I can see your smile, and all that I need is one last chance just to hear you say goodbye."

"Sometimes I remember when you taught me to tie my shoes, one thing I will never forget is the day that I lost you. I hope you always know the car that we built will always roll."

"Somewhere there's a star that's shining so bright that I can see your smile, and all that I need is one last chance just to hear you say goodbye."

"And if you have a dream you better hang on for dear life, and when that cold wind blows just let it pass you by. Things my father said."

"Somewhere there's a star that's shining so bright that I can see your smile, and all that I need is one last chance just to hear you say goodbye."

As he finishes the song I realise I have tears in my eyes, Aidan is hugging my side, Taylor is asleep and Daniel is shaking. Daniel looks over to me and Aidan and offers a smile that fails to hide his emotions. I wait for him to walk over to me and Aidan before pulling him into a hug with the both of us. His eyes widen once he notices the tears in my eyes and starts to relax more in the hug.

"Right, one more tv show and then bed for you too okay Aid?" Aidan pulls out of the hug and runs downstairs to make sure he has control over what the tv show is.

"Well then...that was more emotional than I intended it to be." He laughs lightly before looking me in the eyes.

"It's okay, it's a song that holds a load of emotions for many people. Plus, it's Black Stone Cherry. I think there has been a theme tonight for what songs are sung ayy?" I nudge him playfully at the end of the sentence and he nods along. I make my way downstairs to sit with Aidan and to let Daniel have a few moments to himself.