-31- Sick

BEEP BEEP BEEP. I hear rustling around me as the warmth from around me turns cool. I stir before opening my eyes. I stay silent as I roll onto my back. I look up to see Daniel getting dressed. Not wanting to get caught staring, I close my eyes as he turns around. I feel a dip into the mattress before....

"I know you're awake." He places a kiss on my forehead. I grin while keeping my eyes closed. There are certain times I wish I had a poker face – this is one of them.

"Ughh, alright you got me." My eyes open and I see him lying next to me, propped up on his elbow. His hand reaches over to cup my chin.

"Go on, go enjoy your day. I'll be fine." I smile sweetly as he places another kiss on my forehead before he exaggerates him movements getting off the bed. He studies my face before waving bye as he leaves the room.

*2 hours later*

The light in the room blinds me as my eyes open. I must've drifted off to sleep after Daniel left for school. I get out of the bed and make my way downstairs. I find Madison sitting at the table in kitchen.

"Hey, Madison. Thank you again for letting me stay last night." I grab a glass from the cupboard and fill it up with water from the dispenser on the fridge.

"No need to thank me, hun. Stay as long as you need to ok? Also, here. This is for last week and you staying for the kids, doing more than you needed to and all that." She passes and envelope over the table with some £10 notes in.

"No, please don't do that. There's no need to. Plus, I'd feel horrible taking the money when you're letting me stay here." I pass the envelope back over the table to her. She nods in defeat, knowing I will not accept it.

"Alright. But can we have a little chat, please?"

"Yeah, everything ok?"

"Did you know that Daniel has been missing his training sessions?"

"I didn't but I did wonder why he was around as much as he had been." Crap. Does this mean that she doesn't need me to babysit the kids anymore if Daniel isn't busy?

"I think I have an idea of why he stopped going." She pauses as she looks at my bruised face. "My gut is telling me that he didn't go so that he could make sure you were alright."

"I should have noticed. I'm so sorry Madison. I didn't mean to get in the way."

"It's alright. I understand why his priorities would've changed. Hell, I'm in the same boat as him. I'll just speak to him later and try to see if there's anything else going on." Madison gets up from the table and makes her way into the living room.

Before I get too into my own thoughts, I'm distracted by my phone vibrating in my pocket.

From: Unknown | 09:52 a.m.

(Picture Message received, click to view)

I click on the image and see a picture of a girl with her back to the camera and a guy in front of her, Daniel, it's Daniel. He's leaning into her face. Oh god. Please god no. As soon as I open the picture a message appears.

From: Unknown | 09:52 a.m.

Can't trust anyone these days can you?

Needing the truth and not some shit stirring, I decide it's best to ask someone I can trust.

To: Lyla | 09:53 a.m.

Hey lovely, sorry I couldn't be there today. Hope it's going alright and will see you soon. Quick question though – have you seen Daniel at all today?x

From: Lyla | 09:54 a.m.

It's draining. Be glad you're not here! Umm...not really, why? What's up?x

I take a screenshot of the text from Kyle (probably) and send them to Lyla.

From: Lyla | 09:56 a.m.

OH HELL NO! THAT BETTER NOT BE WHO I THINK IT IS! After everything that happened on Saturday you can't be serious?! I'll see what I can find out lovely, don't make any rash decisions x

To: Lyla | 09:57 a.m.

I know. It's definitely Daniel. I saw him this morning, that's what he was wearing. I don't know what to do Lyl – I'm at his house for god's sake. I need to leave x

From: Lyla | 09:57 a.m.

Stay at mine tonight ok? We can go to the open mic night later? Also, what are you doing at his?x

To: Lyla | 09:59 a.m.

Thank you. I owe you big time. I'll explain when I see you x

*A few hours later*

"Lexi! What the hell happened?" As soon as I pick Lyla up from school she starts shouting at me in the car.

"This is why I was at Daniel's. He came to get me last night. Turns out I shouldn't have gone home at all on Sunday. I was an idiot for not expecting something like this to happen."

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"When I got home, Cody was waiting for me...he had invited Kyle over as well. They attacked me but I managed to get out and hide, rang Daniel and he picked me up. Feeling great considering the text from earlier and that I'm borrowing Madison's clothes."

"Are you serious?" I nod in response. There was nothing else to say about it. It's already happened.

"Lexi...This is serious. Also, I found out who the girl in the picture is. You're not going to like it."

"No...." My eyes widen in horror.

"Skylar."

I feel my phone buzzing in my pocket but ignore it as I pull out of my parking space. We make our way back to Lyla's house chatting about anything but today. It doesn't take us long to get back and before I know it we're getting ready to go to the Social. Before we're about to leave I take my phone off charge and see the texts I left open.

From: Daniel | 15:13 p.m.

Lexi, what's this note about? Why are you sorry? Where are you?x

From: Daniel | 15:28 p.m.

Please tell me you're ok??

From: Daniel | 15:44 p.m.

Talk to me, Lexi. Please? What happened since this morning?x

From: Daniel | 16:07 p.m.

Are you coming back? We need to talk. I spoke to my mum, she said you talked and then you said you needed to go.

From: Daniel | 16:32 p.m.

Ok...silent treatment it is. Look, I'll be at the open mic night tonight. Please can you meet me so we can talk? I want to know what's going on.

To: Daniel | 16:46 p.m.

Hey, I'm ok I guess. I met up with Lyla after school, going to stay at hers tonight. I'll see you at the social alright? Hope you're ok too. It's not that I'm giving you the silent treatment, I'm sorry if you thought that.

*30 minutes later*

Lyla and I make our way into the social. As I walk through the door to the bar I feel eyes on me.

"Hey Lyl, is the concealer working?"

"Yes, you can only see it's a little swollen if you're this close to you." I start to relax more until I see who's on stage getting ready to sing.