-20- Preparations

I walk into my house after finishing school and notice a text on my phone from Madison.

From: Madison | 3:24 p.m.

Hey Lexi. Thank you for being alright with the sudden change of plans. Enjoy your night off tonight and see you tomorrow. Mads x

To: Madison | 3:41 p.m.

Hiya, that's alright. I'm happy to help. Thank you x

I start to get ready to meet the girls. I put on by high-waisted jeans, a zig-zag patterned crop-top and a black kimono over the top. I walk down the stairs pretending that I don't notice the eerie silence throughout the house. I put my boots on and make my way to the car as fast as I possibly can.

I make my way into the Social Club and towards the bar to get a drink. I pay for my drink and find a booth in the corner of the room towards the door. Lyla and Mel walk in only a few moments after I start to settle.

"Hey girls, I got us this table, is that alright?"

"Yeah, this one's great. Be back now, just going to get a drink." Mel walks off to the bar.

Lyla walks over to the table and slides onto the bench next to me, placing her head on my shoulder in a huff.

"What's up?" I question.

"Nothing, sorry. Just tired."

"Fair enough, are you still up for singing tonight?" She nods and sits upright as Mel walks over to the table and hands Lyla some water before sliding onto a seat next to Lyla.

A few moments later the door to the bar opens and in walk, you guessed it, the guys. Josh, Tyler and Daniel make their way to the bar to order their drinks. While they stand waiting to be served I notice Daniel scanning the room before turning to face our table and smiling to himself. Completely oblivious to the conversation between Lyla and Mel going on around me, my eyes focus on Daniel. Before I know it the guys are sat at our table with us.

"Hey Lex, cat got your tongue?" I feel a nudge to my side before I realise I let out a wince from the pain on my now bruised side. Daniel and the girls look at me quizzically.

"Of course not, just glad you can be here to look after our stuff while we're on stage." I wink to him and smile.

The conversations starts to flow between the six of us and before I know it it's time for the karaoke to start. Me and the girls make our way to the stage, already prepared for what song we want to sing. The intro to the song starts playing and me and the girls exchange smirks.

"How do we fall in love, harder than a bullet could hit ya? How do we fall apart, faster than a hair pin trigger?" Lyla starts off the first verse.

"Don't you say, don't you say it. Don't say, don't you say it. One breath, it'll just break it. So shut your mouth and run me like a river." I finish the bridge before we all start to sing the chorus together.

"Shut your mouth, baby, stand and deliver. Holy hands, oh they make me a sinner. Like a river, like a river. Shut your mouth and run me like a river. Choke this love till the veins start to shiver. One last breath till the tears start to wither. Like a river, like a river. Shut your mouth and run me like a river."

"Tales of an endless heart. Curses the fool who's willing. Can't change the way we are. One kiss away from killing." I sing the second verse and make way for Mel to sing the bridge.

"Don't you say, don't you say it. Don't say, don't you say it. One breath, it'll just break it. So shut your mouth and run me like a river."

"Shut your mouth, baby, stand and deliver. Holy hands, oh they make me a sinner. Like a river, like a river. Shut your mouth and run me like a river. Choke this love till the veins start to shiver. One last breath till the tears start to wither. Like a river, like a river. Shut your mouth and run me like a river."

We all sing the rest of the song together before making our way back to the table where the guys are cheering for us. Daniel moves to make way for me to take the seat I was previously in but before I sit down I take off my kimono from being too warm. I reach over Daniel to put my kimono on the windowsill behind my seat. Before I realise it, I'm being dragged out of the bar by my wide-eyed friends.

"What happened to your side? Please tell me it isn't happening again?" Lyla starts to whisper shout her first question before just normal speaking the second question. Mel nods along with her asking the same questions.

I feel the tears start to form in my eyes before nodding slightly. They both pull me into a hug letting me get the emotions, which I had kept built up until now, out. I pull away from their hug, them both eyeing my up and down to check I'm ok, and pull myself together before going back into the bar. We sit back down at the table and I feel a poke on my arm. I look up to see Daniel looking me directly in the eye, his face laced with concern. He mouths 'are you okay' to me. I nod in response and let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding in.

The rest of the night passes by with lots of laughter and smiles and listening to other people singing their karaoke songs.

I make my way home. Once through the door, the silence is deafening. I make my way to my room and pull out a duffel bag from my cupboard, packing for the few days ahead of me. I start to feel some weight lifting off my shoulders as I pack a selection of clothes, the thought of not being here for a few days giving me peace at mind.