Chapter 009

“Sa bahay nalang kaya?” Bea asked worriedly.

I smiled bitterly to her and then lumabas kami ng MOA. Nung nasa kotse na kami, dahan-dahan namang kumawala ang mga luhang pilit kong pinigil. Nakakainis..

Bigla namang hinawakan ni Bea ang mga kamay ko. Humarap ulit ako sa kanya at ngumiti.

“Just… hear his side first.” She said with a sweet smile.

I wiped my tears and smiled back at her.

“Dito nalang muna ako Bei.” I said to her.

“Huh? No way!”

“Please? I’m gonna be okay. Uuwi rin naman kaagad ako. Promise.” I smiled and she signaled to the driver na huminto. Hindi pa naman kami nakakalayo ng Moa kaya sumakay ulit ako ng jeep at dumiretso ng Baywalk.

Nang bumaba ako dun, umupo ako sa gilid ng dagat at tumingin lang sa malayo. And it really felt good.. kahit papano.

And my tears kept flowing and I didn’t even know how to stop it. Bakit sobra akong nasasaktan? Bakit sobra akong natatakot? Bakit sobra akong naiinis? Bakit sobra akong.. umiiyak?

I just sat there silently habang pinariringgan ang paghampas ng tubig sa wall. It’s getting late and the lights at the boulevard started to light up. Narinig ko ring nagriring ang cellphone ko pero wala akong planong sagutin ito. I just wanna be with myself.. alone. And damn it, the “scene” kept flashing at my eyes and my mind.

And it just hurts even more.

“God.. answer the damn phone!” I yelled.

Kanina pa ako tawag ng tawag kay Yana but she still isn’t answering. Her parents are worried already. I’m worried myself.

“Bea.. yeahh.. good eve.. nasan si Yana?… oo, saan? sige, sige… pupuntahan ko siya dun.. hindi niya kasi sinasagot ang phone.. her parents are worried.. and I’m worried too.”

I hung up my phone  and went to the place where Bea said she dropped Yana.

[***]

It’s been 7 years since I started liking her. I was 9 by then. She was this shy little girl who always wear a pink ribbon on her pony tail. She was cute and even cuter when she starts fingling the piano keys with her little fingers.

And that “admiration”, through the years, turned into somewhat “deeper”. Gusto ko siyang ligawan this highschool but I’m afraid she’d reject me and baka masira ang pagiging magkaibigan namin. And that I don’t wanna lose.

At kung kelan naman ako nagkaroon ng lakas, doon naman pumasok sa eksena ang kaibigan kong si Rhys. Si Rhys, ang matalik kong kaibigan simula nung grade six. Hearthrob. Matalino. Magaling sa lahat ng bagay. Pero hindi playboy. Hindi pa nagkakaroon ng girlfriend pero magaling sa mga babae.. at mahilig sa mga babaeng mala-hearthrob din ang dating. Kaya nabigla ako ng pinormahan niya si Yana..

[***]

“Sabi ko sa iyo, mag-ingat ka eh.”

“HIndi ko magets kung san ako nagkamali.”

“Hindi ka nagkamali, siya ang nagkamali. Kaya don’t stress yourself.”

“You’re right.” I smiled.

“Basta.. if you need someone, I’m just ALWAYS HERE.. ” he then whispered.. “waiting..”

Napatingin ako sa kanya. But then I shook my head.

“Tara.. uwi ka na.” He smiled and he took my hand. We both stood up and went home.

June 07.

“Hi Yana, happy new year!” bati sakin ni Gabby when I entered the room.

I just looked at her and dumiretso sa chair ko. Ayokong makipagplastikan kaya please lang, wag ka na munang maging plastic and pretend that nothing happened. And gaaa, everyone has been talking about the three of us already (and the worse is, ako yung masama sa picture).

Rhys was texting and calling me, pero hindi ako sumasagot. Sobrang iwas rin naman ako sa kanya simula noong Monday, and tatlong araw na ang nakakaraan… until he finally caught me.

“Yana!” he grabbed my right arm at napalingon ako sa kanya. Huminga ako ng malalim.

“Look, if you’re going to ask me what’s wrong, better ask yoursef. Alam na nga ng lahat, ikaw pa. Imposible namang hindi mo alam when you know you did it yoursef.” I got my arm our of his hold and sumakay na kaagad ako sa kotse.

June 11. 8:32 pm.

Nung dumating ako sa bahay galing from school, I found out na nag-out of town sina Mommy and Daddy because of business matters and all. So naiwan lang ako sa bahay, then I called Bea to come and have a sleep-over. It was raining hard nung mga around 8:30 na ng gabi.

“The best thing about tonight’s that we’re not fighting

It couldn’t be that we have been this way before

I know you don’t think that I am trying..”

“What the-” napatingin si Bea sa labas ng window at napasunod rin naman ako.

“Rhys..”

“Yeah, and FYI, he’s with an iDock and the music’s Fall For You by Secondhand. Can you believe it? Awww.. and he’s all alone out there.. drenchedly wet..” she was smitten by the act. Good for her.

But hold your breath

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you

Over again

Don’t make me change my mind

I won’t live to see another day

I swear its true

Because a girl like you is impossible to find

You’re impossible to find

This is not what I intended

I always swore to you that I would never fall apart

You always thought that I was stronger

I may have failed

But I have loved you from the start

Oh, But hold your breath

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you

Over again

Don’t make me change my mind

I won’t live to see another day

I swear it’s true

Because a girl like you is impossible to find

It’s impossible to find

So breathe in so deep

Breathe me in

I’m yours to keep

And hold onto your words

‘Cause talk is cheap

And remember me tonight

When you’re asleep

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you

Over again

Don’t make me change my mind

I won’t live to see another day

I swear it’s true

Because a girl like you is impossible to find

Tonight will be the night that I will fall for you

Over again

Don’t make me change my mind

I won’t live to see another day

I swear it’s true

Because a girl like you is impossible to find

You’re impossible to find”

Yeah, he was there, drenchedly wet.. because of the rain.