39. Bheege Bheege se Lamhe

“Why didn’t you go home with Karan?” Akshat enquired while driving the car.
It was fifteen past ten and the road way back home was a lonely one bypassing a forest.

Apparently, Guddan got off the college at 5 pm and was to be dropped off at Jindal mansion, as was stated to Karan but she insisted on accompanying Akshat and thus Karan dropped her at the restaurant where Akshat was personally supervising the order for a foreign delegate’s welcome ceremony. And by the time he got free, the clock had already stuck 10.

“Because I wanted to go with you!” She replied in a matter of fact voice and looked out of the window.

Akshat sighed. Women were troublesome creatures, way beyond his measley level of understanding.

As he was continuing with the mind monologues about peculiarity of women and his wife in general, a banshee like scream screeched through his ears as he applied the brakes instantly.

“What is it?” He asked worried turning to the aforementioned banshee…his wife.

“I am starving, let’s go and eat maggi over there!” Guddan suggested.

Akshat let his eyes follow the direction she was pointing to and found a rundown stall in the midst of nowhere where a frail old man was probably brewing some tea and maggi on the go.

“No! This is extremely unhygienic! And we’ll reach home in another 30 minutes, so control your stomach”

Guddan pouted and glared at him, “Is that so?”

Akshat nodded, puzzled as Guddan flashed him an out-of-the-blue smile. The sarcastic one!

“Since it is so unhygienic’ I won’t force you!” She trailed as Akshat let go of the anticipatory breath he was holding and had just turned the key, when the door on Guddan’s side was pushed open and she stepped out.

“Guddan?!” He called out puzzled, leaning over her seat.

“Aapko nhi aana toh mat aaiye”, Guddan shrugged carelessly and was soon crossing over to the other side of road.

“Uncle, aap na jaldi se mast si maggi aur ek cup masala chai bana dijiye!” Guddan ordered, her mouth already salivating at maggi’s fragrance sneaking up her nose.
“Make it two!”

Amused, Guddan turned her head to see a 6 ft 3 inch mass of stone plop behind her on the wooden table cum chair.

“Oh! If it isn’t Mr. ‘this-is-unhygienic’!?” She spoke sarcastically like a high society aunty.

Akshat smiled, “I don’t fuss over tea too much!”

An indistinct noise of “Hmmphh” originated from Guddan’s throat as she turned her face away from him.

Akshat chuckled. She looked cute,making faces like that.

While Guddan was humming a song, a loud sound of thunder pierced across the sky and the clouds opened up.

“Shit!” Akshat cursed as he hurried to hide his head within the minute space in the stall.

Turning to the his side, he found Guddan gone only to see her standing with arms wide apart and tongue sticking out, while she faced the clouds raining incessantly.

“Kya kar rahi ho? Andar aa jao. Beemar pad jaogi!” Akshat shouted.

But his words were dissolved halfway as Guddan whirled slowly,absolutely lost in the rain.