The Puzzle

Aiden's POV
" Every time you run into that woman something terrible happens to you ".

Mom sat at the foot of my bed. There were bags underneath her eyes and the lines in her face somehow seemed more prominent.

Since the last couple of days she had not been herself. This haggard looking woman who always seemed on edge was the opposite of the calm and poised person my mother usually was.

" Sarah is also a victim mom . Don't tell me you are blaming this on her too. "

" As far as I remember son you are the one who is always suspecting her and I am the one who tells you to give her and her family the benefit of doubt. What I meant to say is that the girl definitely brings bad luck with her. Remember what happened at the hotel ? "

" Yeah I can see what you mean. And the thing that happened at the Black Rose. That also happened when she was present. "

At this my mother suddenly got up.

" I think I am going to lie down for a bit. "

She started making her way to the door.

" Mom wait ".

She turned around a wary expression on her face.

" Why wouldn't you tell me what really happened that night ? Who was that man ?"

" I think I have already told you that. He and I have a past. It's too embarrassing so please don't ask. "

" So you two um had an affair ?"

It seemed odd asking my mom such a question but I was too curious to care.

" Yes you can say that I guess ".

Mom's voice sounded a little shaky.
She clearly wanted to change the topic but I still had to ask that one question. The question whose answer I dreaded and wanted at the same time.

" Did it... Did it happen while dad was alive ?"
Please let her say no I silently prayed.

" Heavens no ! How could you even think that ?"

She looked scandalized.

I just sat there silently not knowing what to say.

" Please Aiden I just don't want to talk about this anymore okay. "

Mom hurried away before I could say anything else. I gave an inward sigh of relief. At least it wasn't what I was fearing.

It must be awkward and embarrassing for her to talk about her love life with me. Or was it something else ?

No I have always been more than a little paranoid. It's probably nothing to worry about, I told myself.

Sarah's POV
It had been a couple of days since my near collision with death. My incident probably would have been forgotten by the media after a few days if Aiden wasn't involved.

But now people just wouldn't stop talking about it. The incident was being linked with the one that happened at the hotel. All sorts of conspiracy theories were being discussed.

And as for the gossip columns they were more interested in investigating whether me and Aiden were a couple.

" So you and Aiden were meeting up the day you got shot ?"

Blair Keen who always thought her self too superior to mingle with me and the others was now suddenly among the countless people who were calling me. Ofcourse the purpose was more to dig up fresh pieces of gossip then to actually know whether I was doing okay.