Darkest Hour

People had started to gather around us. Sasha and her friends managed to push through the crowd and find me. I was still in shock, unable to move.

" She killed him! She killed my husband!" I heard Alyssa shout . A couple of people were actually patting her shoulder and trying to comfort her. The sight made my blood boil. I knew I just couldn't stay silent and not defend myself.

" He attacked me first . Everything I did was in self defense!"

" Everyone calm down please. Let the police investigate what happened here."

The mention of the police sent chills up my spine. Sasha pulled me into a corner and asked me what had happened. I tried to narrate everything to her as I remembered it.

" If only there were security cameras here that could have captured the footage of that man attacking you! Either way what you did was in self defense. You are gonna be ok."

Sasha pulled me in a hug, trying to comfort me. An ambulance pulled up taking away the man .The police had already arrived on the scene. Me and Alyssa were both taken to the police station. Sasha came with me .

We were both questioned separately. I told the officers everything hoping they would believe me.i was anxious thinking about what Alyssa must have said during her questioning. I was sure that she must have tried to make it looked like I had killed her husband in cold blood .

For some reason I kept feeling that the officers were somehow more sympathetic to her . The officers kept calling her ma'am and offered her tea . With me and Sasha they were pretty rude.Had she bribed them? She was pretty rich and in our country bribes could get you any where.

Or maybe it was because she was crying without any restraint. I was utterly scared and maybe sobbing like Alyssa could have made me feel better but I didn't like appearing weak in front of strangers. Perhaps I should feel sorry for her , after all she did loose her husband.

Right now I just wanted to be home in my bed cuddling up with my mom and sister. But my trials had just begun.To my utter shock I was told I would be kept here in prison till the hearing happened. Sasha and I just couldn't believe it.

" It's the laws of this country ma'am . People claim they did everything in self defense and then they run off and disappear. So we hold them here." A balding officer with a pot belly told us.

" What kind of fucked up law is that? My sister was attacked by that man! You would rather believe that lying bitch instead of my sister!" Sasha's face was red with rage. I placed a hand on her arm to calm her down. Fighting with a police officer here was dangerous .

" There was another man at the scene ma'am. He saw your sister kick Mr.Sheridan after which he saw him fall. "

" That was after he lunged at me! Didn't the witness see that too?" I thought I was going to go insane.

" No he didn't ma'am. Look why don't you wait till the hearing? "

I felt I couldn't breathe . It was like the walls were closing in on me. Mom and Sasha stood outside the bars to the cell. Mom was sobbing . Sarah was trying to utter words of comfort. It felt like de ja vu to me. It was my second time behind bars.

" I talked to Aiden. He's out of town but he's going to get here as soon as possible. He was very worried about you." Sasha said to me.

" They have recently passed a law introducing capital punishment for murder. What are we going to do?" My mind was coming up with all sorts of horrible ways this could end.

" It's never going to come to that sweetheart, I promise. We are here for you. We are gonna talk to our lawyer and I know Aiden is going to do whatever he can to help."