The Truth

After the photographs were taken we were led inside the theater brimming with celebrities and the town's elite. I saw Amanda waving at us and I felt more than a little anxious as we headed towards her.

Luckily she was in a good mood. She seemed to love attention and being the female lead in this movie she was getting a lot of it. Our conversation was continuously interrupted by people congratulating her.

I thought we would be off the hook now but quite a lot of people knew Aiden and were more than a little curious about us. How did we meet? For how long we have been together? These questions were constantly fired at us. But all of a sudden one question popped up that neither of us wanted to answer.

Mr. Harold a balding middle aged man who apparently knew Aiden's parents was the one who brought it up. He seemingly knew quite a lot about Aiden's family including the fact that his family was never really on good terms with mine.

" I was honestly quite astonished when I heard that the two of you were together. Anna said your families weren't on very good terms especially after Arianna died there were some strange rumours. I am sure you know what I mean ."  He looked into my eyes as if trying to gauge my thoughts.

I tried to remain cool and confident.
" There were some misunderstandings I admit but at the end of the day getting to know Sarah was the best thing that ever happened to me. " Aiden looked at me with such genuine affection that had I not known better I would have thought he was really in love with me. Why doesn't this guy become a movie star instead?

" Both me and Sarah had gone through the same circumstances, the knowledge of how to lose a loved one brought us both together." Aiden continued to lie coolly.

" I hope he doesn't bore you with his history lectures. For him it's always that or discussions regarding literature . I always used to tell him he needs to have interests people his age are expected to have. Such serious conversations scare young women away." Harold said with a laugh.

But I could sense this wasn't just an innocent question . He was trying to know how close we were. In short he was still suspicious about us and couldn't mind his own business.

" Actually as a matter of fact I share similar interests." Aiden shot me a warning look out of the corner of his eye.

" That's wonderful! What era do you like to read the most about?" Harold started quizzing me.

" The classical civilizations of Greece and Rome interest me in particular. " I responded.

" Oh even my fourteen year old knows about that era, what with Hollywood glamorising it all the time. " Harold snorted . After which he launched into a deep discussion which started with Homer and ended on Hadrian. I felt like I was on a quiz show where I had to prove how knowledgeable I was.

Luckily I ended up replying to every question he threw at me. All the while I saw Aiden watching me , when I looked at him I felt there was an expression of awe on his face. At the end I could see that Harold looked confused and frustrated all at the same time, even though he had plastered a smile on his face.

" I can see why you fell for her Aiden. She's just as much of an old soul as you are." With this he stomped away.

" That man wanted us to slip and give something away. He is one of my mom's friends and I am sure he's spying for her on us. " Aiden spoke.

" What have you told your mom about us ?"

" Same thing that I have told everyone. " He said his tone implying he didn't want to say anything more on it. That meant he hadn't told his mother. I suddenly remembered the Ethan Crawford incident. Why was his mom secretly meeting with that guy ?