Prolouge

Dedicated to Matteoarts and DuckzTheReader, my inspirations.  

Your POV

I was aboard the MCS James Macallen on it's way to Typhon to carry out Operation: Broadsword. While we were on our way there I thought it wouldn't hurt to get in some extra pilot training. I'm now in a sim pod going over the basics once more. My father and pilot mentor, Captain Lastimosa who got his fame and respect from the Titan Wars (The events from the first Titanfall) was running me through the functions of the jump-kit when he looked out into the scenery and started monologuing about protecting our home planet and how we've been gaining an advantage over the IMC. I've already heard this lecture thousands of times.

Lastimosa: Beautiful, isn't it? I modeled the scenery after our home planet Harmony. This is what we're fighting for, son: a world that isn't metal and smoke. We've retaken a quarter of frontier space since the battle of Demeter, more people join every day to fight the IMC, people like you.  We used to run and hide from them, but now... 

we chase them.

He said that last part with dramatic effect. Dad was always firm believer in inspiration with words, to get his men, but more importantly me to be pumped up to fight for our home. It lost it's effect on me a while ago since I was so used to it, but I have to say it does what he intends it to do.

After getting through the jump-kit calibration course and shooting range, I finally got to the gauntlet. I wasn't the best at it, but I was motivated to be in tip-top shape because we were about to head into battle where I could die. After what felt like hours, I finally beat Dad's top 4 spot with 34 seconds when I got to third place with 30 seconds. This was a big deal for me, since that leaderboard consisted of the best pilots in  the militia including dad, his colleague Major Anderson, and even Commander Briggs herself, head honcho of the entire Militia.

Lastimosa: Hey, that was my best time! I must be getting slow! (Y/N): You should be running the gauntlet a little more, old man. You always talk about being more persistent, but I haven't seen you run this thing in months. Lastimosa: (chuckles) Touchee kid, Touchee. Anyway. You done with the gauntlet? (Y/N): What's next? Lastimosa: Well (Y/N) I'm glad you asked. It's time you learn about the other half of being a poilot: the titan.

I was ecstatic to say the least. I would finally call down my first titan, even if it was just in a simulation. Next thing I knew we were in a clear field with dad's titan, BT off in the distance in a crouching stance with one hand on the ground.

 Next thing I knew we were in a clear field with dad's titan, BT off in the distance in a crouching stance with one hand on the ground

Dad tells me how to call one in and I do, but just before it hits the ground, the simulation dies.

(Y/N) mind: Damn it! This close and the battery in the sim pod fucking dies!                                              

Either way, it seemed as if we were about to land on Typhon for the mission. I get in my drop pod and descend down into the planet's atmosphere. But to say it was a rough landing was a understatement. There were cloaked anti-orbital defenses, how that was even possible, I don't know. I land with blurry vision  and get out of the drop pod to rejoin my squad. We had multiple specters coming our way and it took a while but we push through them all, but suffering casualties to our squad.