~Chapter 5 (R 1/17/2020)~

"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?" Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You could hear your heart begin to pound as soon as you saw Crowley's car, and you couldn't help but stand there, gawking and staring at the beautiful car. A 1933 Bentley, and in pristine condition, to boot. Your dad... Your dad would have loved to even see one of these on the roads, much less ride in one.

In a way, you could just imagine if he'd ever seen one on the road with you in the car with him.

"Hey, Y/N! Check that out!" he'd say as he nudges you in the side with his elbow while pulling out his phone and snapping a photo. Then he'd tell you some completely random--yet interesting--fact about the Bentley corporation that he'd picked up through his many years of being an avid car lover.

The two of you would then sit in contented silence, so much happiness brought from just seeing an old car on the road.

Seeing this beautiful car brought back the bare pain and desperation of your parents' death. Unable to move or speak, you stand there for a moment, still staring.

Crowley snaps you back into reality and interrupts your rushed and hurt thoughts. "Hey, Y/N. Are you coming?" Crowley calls out from the window. Only now do you realize how amazing this really is. How could he possibly have kept this Bentley so spotless?

You sheepishly get into the car and admit to where your mind had drifted. "Sorry... I was just remembering my dad. He loved cars so much. He would've been so happy if he'd ever gotten to see a 1933 Bentley that's as in perfect a condition as this one." You look around the car, tracing your fingers along the interior and inspecting every detail.

"What happened to him?" Crowley asks while revving the engine and beginning to drive. "You're talking as if he's dead or something."

You wince internally. It's funny how he just guessed that... "He is," you respond. "Ironically, he died in a bad car wreck. The same accident killed my mom, too."

Crowley is silent for a moment before speaking again. "Any other family? Siblings, grandparents?"

"No more family."

"Friends?"

"I'm terrible at talking to people."

"You've gained Aziraphale's trust, although it's admittedly pretty easy to do."

"Well, that's only because my mom was a book dork and we bonded immediately."

" 'Dork'?"

"That's what she always called herself. A bookdork, one word."

"Funny."

"... Yeah."

Crowley doesn't speak for a moment. "Well, do you believe in the afterlife?"

Jeez, what is it with them and the afterlife? "Nope. Sorry."

"Huh. 'S too bad. Ever considered you might be wrong?"

"What? I mean, what proof has there ever been that there's something after death?"

Crowley looks you in the eye. "Well, maybe they're just clever." He looks back to the road and makes a sharp turn.

You're shocked into silence for a moment. You shake yourself back into reality and respond. "Who's 'they'?"

"God. Demons. Angels. Ghosts. Spirits. Whatever you want to believe in."