~Chapter 24~

"Every night and every day a little piece of you is falling away, but lift your face the Western way, build your muscles as your body decays." Hammer to Fall by Queen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The harpy soars on through the near-endless desert. As the dunes pass by under you, you can't help but wonder just how far you walked and if you'll ever be able to find Freddie Mercury. It was already a coincidence to even find anyone, much less him.

You decide not to dwell on that. You'll be able to see more people--demons--soon, even if they are the ones hurting you.

The harpy twists around, and you feel your breath catching in your throat as though you're suffocating. A wave of panic passes over you and you feel lightheaded and dizzy.

Then the harpy is landing somewhere on the demon floor of Hell. You'd just gone through a barrier of some sort.

It drops you and flies back out the way it came. Beelzebub, clearly bored, stands before you. The same demon as before stands next to them.

"You've been zzummoned. Dagon will take you back to the room."

So that's their name...

"Okay. But before that..."

"Yezz?"

"How long has it been since my death?"

Beelzebub regards your question coldly.

"Why should I tell you? Izn't the purpoze of this plaze to punish you? I should let you zzuffer in your ignoranzze."

"I just... I just want to know."

"If you don't have a pozition worth conzidering, I zee no reazon to tell you."

"Well then..." You consider your few options and come up with only one reasonable response that'll get you an answer. It's risky, but honestly, what's the worst Beelzebub could do?

"I'll start fighting back."

"Excuzze me?"

"Against the demons who always come to torture me because of Armageddon. I'll fight back. I'll stop letting them hurt me."

"That wazn't part of the agreement."

"I know. What would you do if I did?"

"I would kill the two beingzz you died for."

Right... Beelzebub could do that.

"... Please. I just want to know how long I've been dead. There are so few mercies here, I'm just asking for one..."

Beelzebub looks at you coldly and you lower your head. To your relief, they give in.

"... Fine. You've been dead for forty-zeven yearzz."

"Okay... Thank you. I... I mean it."

You lift your head, turn to Dagon, and nod, signaling that you're ready to go. They grip your shoulder and lead you back to the room, shutting the door after you enter.

A wave of familiarity hits you, and only now do you feel the coolness of this floor on your skin. You're still parched and starving, but at least you aren't burning.

A female demon enters and you stand, looking at the floor, waiting for the initial blow.

This demon slams you into the wall, and you feel a crack in your skull. It's not like that hasn't been hurt before.