~Chapter 8~

Aziraphale is the first one that speaks. "Crowley, I thought you were checking to see if she had left her room--" The only possible explanation for that one is security cameras. Fun.

"I thought you'd covered that! You're the one who stopped by for a visit!"

"Well, I guess we have no choice--"

"There's always a choice! We could-- uh-- disappear!"

"Do you understand how confused she would be if we just vanished?"

"Well, do you have any better ideas that don't include telling her?"

"Of course not! That's what has to happen!"

"No, it doesn't! Aziraphale," no more pet names, apparently, "we can't tell her!"

"We have to!"

"But she's going to think we're--"

"I know that! As I said, we could switch forms, and--"

"You would literally destroy her soul. That's the worst idea yet."

"But you could--"

"No, I couldn't." Crowley glares at Aziraphale. You jump in before they start bickering like an old couple again.

"You do realize I'm still standing here, right?"

"We know!" Crowley hisses. Aziraphale shoots him a look and turns to you with a sheepish smile on his face.

"Y/N... You see... We're not who we say we are. Not exactly."

"I figured that out already. I just don't know how." Crowley jumps in.

"From what you've heard so far, what do you think we are?" Aziraphale gives him a weird look and Crowley says, "What? I just want to distract her!" You decide to amuse him.

"Well, after just now, I have no idea. I mean, how could Aziraphale destroy my soul? But before... I thought you were both gay or bi or something and getting married in a few days."

Aziraphale laughs lightly. "No, I'm not gay. Neither is Crowley. What is the official term, again? Where you don't mind what gender people are?" You reply.

"Oh, pan?"

"Yes, that's it. Now, do you remember when I was telling you about the story of Adam and Eve?"

"Of course."

"Ah, here, how to say it. Hmm. I may just introduce myself as who I am." He walks up to you and holds out his hand to shake.

"My dearest Y/N, I am the Principality Aziraphale. I am an angel and was the guard of the East Gate in the Garden of Eden. My assignment here on Earth is to push the humans into the light, into Heaven, and out of Hell." So the "pet name" Crowley has for Aziraphale... It's not a pet name, it's literally what he is.

But you remember the Adam and Eve story. The serpent and the angel had a conversation and became friends. That would make Crowley...

"So, Crowley, explain who you are," Aziraphale says.

"I won't even bother." He stands to leave and you think quickly. At this point, there's only one way to make him stop walking.

So you run up to him and wrap your arms around his stomach from the back. He jumps.

"What the hell?"

"Crowley, no. Stay."

"Let go, Y/N..." He uses a patronizing voice that's reserved for stubborn little kids. But you're not having it.

"Not until you promise me you'll stay and help explain."

"Fine. I'll stay." You release him and walk back over to Aziraphale crossing your arms.

"I mean, I've already guessed who you are."

"Okay, then. Who am I?"

"You're a demon, right? The serpent who tempted Eve into eating the Forbidden Fruit?" He just stares at you.

"I figured you'd want nothing to do with me if you knew I was a demon...?"

"Yeah, right. I'm sure you're nice." Crowley takes a step towards you and you realize that being a demon, he probably doesn't like being called "nice". Oops.

"But you are...?" Aziraphale looks very scared and is giving you the international sign for, if you value your life, stop it right now or you will regret it for the rest of your days! You are going to die! Abort! Abort! Abort! And, being you, you decide to keep at it. At this point, he's a foot away from you.

"Why else would you let me live with you? You are super nice! I can see Aziraphale being an angel, but it's hard to imagine you as a demon. I'm sure you are very nice and kind!" ... And now his face is an inch away from yours and his facial expression is a frightening neutral.

Either he's going to try to intimidate you or kiss you. You haven't figured out which yet-- You're scared out of your mind with either possibility so you're blabbering.

"I don't care what you say, you're a kind perso--" He grabs your collar and sneers in your face.

"No, I'm not." Finally, he speaks. You may or may not be shaking. You probably should have taken Aziraphale's non-verbal advice.

"I'm a demon. I can turn into a damned snake, for Satan's sake. Nice is not a word in my vocabulary, and don't you forget it. I am not nice." He pushes you away. "Or kind." He turns around and leaves the study. You're too shaken to try to stop him again.

You... kind of want to cry. Maybe you were wrong. Maybe he isn't nice. Maybe. But you aren't the type to give up on someone.

Aziraphale walks over and puts his arm around your shoulder.

"I'm terribly sorry, he--"

"It's fine, I can understand him. A little bit. As much as a human can understand something like this." And you did. Every demon, every entity in Hell, used to be an angel. And since Aziraphale and Crowley are friends, at least one of them has to be a little bit on the opposite side. Aziraphale has an image in Heaven to live up to, so he probably isn't very much demon at all.

Crowley probably has only a tiny bit wrong with him and was unlucky enough to be one of the fallen. And from living in Hell and being expected to live up to being bad, he probably continued falling the rest of the way.

You remember the plants. It all makes sense. Well, at least if your hypothesis is right. Crowley yells at plants for having the tiniest bit wrong with them. He destroys them if they have the smallest spot even when they could easily be saved.

Crowley was turned into a demon because he had the tiniest bit wrong with him. Heaven destroyed him and his image even though he could have easily been saved.

He's taking out his anger that came from falling on the plants.

So when you tried supporting the plants, in some way, you were supporting him, too.

"Aziraphale, I'm fine. Thank you. I'm going to go back to my room now. A lot has happened that I need to think about."

"That's fine. I'll be on my way, as well. We still have quite a bit to show and tell you once Crowley has cooled down." He walks out of the study. You follow close behind and head to your room. You keep reading to distract yourself but end up thinking instead about everything that's happened.