Chapter 2

The next morning is court day. When Rosie's alarm goes off, she is less than thrilled to get out of bed. She skips breakfast and quickly takes on a pair of blue jeans, a black tank top and a red leather jacket. This she wore on her first date with her ex. It only seems fitting that she wears it when she sees him for the last time. Besides this is one of her finer outfits. Her hair hangs loose today. The sun is shining although it is still early morning. Maybe she should leave the jacket at home? No, she figures that she could always take it off. Rather be too hot than freeze to death. As she is about to leave half past seven, her keys are missing. She searches the whole apartment just find them in her bag. As she locks the door, she curses herself for her stupidity. How typical!

Eric comes to pick her up. Today, he drives himself instead of just taking a cab. It must be because of the show afterwards. "Ready for today?" he asks as he rolls back into traffic. Rosie sighs. "Don't think I'll ever be ready. How's our defense?" Eric looks at her for a brief moment of irritation. "As solid as it will ever be. Today, we set the whole motive for the day. He will never win when the real motive behind his accusations is brought into the daylight," Eric says with an overwhelming amount of confidence. Rosie sighs. The case is not over yet.

"Got everything you need?" Eric asks. Rosie seems to be unable to find her damn keys once more. "One second," she say irritated. Finally! The dumb keys had slipped into a spare pocket in her bag. "I'm ready now," she says as she exits the black car. The way to court is all too well known. This is the last time she ever intents to step foot in there. The food tastes like plastic and the coffee smells and tastes like stinky socks. "Coffee?" Eric ask as they reach the coffee machine halfway to the courtroom. "No thanks, I'm good," Rosie says as she eyes the coffee machine with a glance of disgust. "Suit yourself," Eric says as he buys a cup. "By the way: Let me do the talking," he adds. Rosie rolls her eyes.

Rosie's stomach turns as she walks into the courtroom. This is either all or nothing, but she trusts that Eric knows what he is doing. After all, he is a good manager but today a lawyer is needed. Rosie wonders if he actually is up for the task. Able to close the case? Rosie's ex, Robert Thorn, is already present. He scowls to Rosie, who could not care less for him. After what he did, he does not deserve her attention. "Relax!" Eric whispers. He sees how tense Rosie is. "We're gonna win," he assures her. Rosie hopes he is right.

The judge arrives late, which only strengthens Rosie's nervousness. "Rosalinda Blackwell, you are charged with abuse of your former lover. Do you still deny this?" The judge skips the formalities and goes straight to the center of the case: Is Robert telling the truth? Is Rosie guilty? The answer is no of course to both questions. Robert is lying like he always is. Like he always did. "Yes, my client still denies the lies. In her defense, it is lies. Miss Blackwell did never abuse anyone. However, Mr. Thorn abused miss Blackwell both verbally and emotionally throughout the whole relationship, which had a duration of six month and tree days before miss Blackwell ended it and left. Mr. Thorn comes with the accusations now because of the vague hope that he might restore the money that his other lover stole from him. He cannot charge her since it all happened legally. Therefore, he thought he could win the money back by accusing miss Blackwell of abuse, thinking that she would be too weak to defend herself and the truth. Therefore, honored judge, do we still deny the accusations," Eric speaks calmly with firm tone of voice. But he does not tell the judge anything that he does not already know. That has been clear from day one. "Do you deny this, Mr. Thorn?" the judge sighs. Robert stares angrily at Rosie. "What does it matter? You have already made up your mind," he says. "I will take that as an admission of your guilt and not miss Blackwell's. The case has come to an end. The charges against Rosalinda Blackwell are no more. Robert Thorn will be claimed guilty of false accusations. Miss Blackwell, do you wish any charges against Mr. Thorn?" the judge speaks. Eric looks at Rosie who shakes her head. "My only wish is for this case to end. I have a busy schedule," Rosie answers. The judge nods. "So be it. Miss Blackwell, you are free to leave this court, uncharged. Mr. Thorn are you paying cash or by card?" Robert sulks. He lost the case, but he has lost so much more than just that, and he knows it. Rosie is pleased with the outcome of this stupid case.