Chapter 8

Rosie eventually calms down and goes to sleep. Barry and Eric try to find a way to prevent Sebastian from imitating Barry again, but they cannot seem to find a solution. "Okay kid, it's getting late. Check on Rosie before you go to sleep, will you? We wouldn't want her to sleep on the floor again," Eric smiles tired. Barry nods. He runs through the papers they have written about everything they know about Sebastian on one sheet and everything worth knowing about Barry on another. Everything that has been exposed about Barry during his days here and whatever Rosie might have said was written down on a third sheet of paper. Barry sighs. It frustrates him that Sebastian would be able to pretend to be him every second of every day. He clears his thoughts and goes to check on Rosie. A beam of light is let into the dark room when he opens the door. Rosie sits up in her sleep. Barry is caught off guard and has no idea what to do. "Barry?" Rosie asks with a sleepy voice. "Yes," Barry answers and steps into the room closing the door. "Would you stay?" Rosie asks. Her voice is clearer now. "Having trouble sleeping?" Barry asks and walks toward the bed. "Seems like the same thing applies to you. Otherwise you'd be sleeping right now," Rosie says turning on her bedside lamp. Barry screws up his eyes because of the light. "It's not very reassuring to know that a mean doppelgänger can pretend to be one self," Barry says. Rosie signals for him to join her on the bed. He sits down next to her. "Something is troubling you, Barry. I know you too well to tell," Rosie says softly and takes his hand into hers. "I... Eric said something that has been troubling me ever since. We tried to come up with a solution but failed," Barry says slowly. Rosie looks concerned. "What could possibly trouble you like this?" she asks. Barry meets her eyes. "Sebastian could fool you to believe that he is me," Barry explains. Rosie had not even thought of that. "Barry, Sebastian could never fool me like that. He's not you," Rosie says. Without noticing it she has moved her face closer to his. Barry's eyes flicker confused between Rosie's eyes and lips. Hesitantly, she leans in towards him till their lips are touching. At first, she finds it weird but is then caught up in the moment - Barry is a good kisser - and pulls him closer. Instinctively, he puts his arm around her waist and pulls her closer to him as well. Suddenly, Barry breaks off the kiss. Rosie looks confused at him feeling exposed and vulnerable. She hates feeling vulnerable. She looks for answers in Barry's face but there is none to find. "Barry?" she asks afraid that it was wrong of her to kiss him. Barry bites his lower lip and pushes his finger against his mouth. "What... You know this can't happen," Barry finally says frustrated. "But why?" Rosie stutters. "Because of the show. You know what Wace said. The audience ships you and Sebastian. Two contestants that they can follow on camera. The audience can't follow this and the organizers would never allow it. They want drama. Drama that they can record and send out to the audience who eats it up," Barry explains. He would wish things were different. Rosie looks more confused than ever. "Wha-What? Barry... I don't understand," she says. Barry takes her hands in his. "This kiss never happened. We were both caught up in the moment and it was a natural response. But it never happened," Barry says burying any hope of being with Rosie. "But Barry..." Rosie tries. Barry shushes her gently by putting his fingers over her lips. "You're dreaming Rose. This never happened it was a dream," Barry says putting the blanket over her. He turns off the light and kisses her forehead before leaving with the words. "You're sleeping. All this was a dream."

Rosie wakes up the next morning with a headache. To Barry's luck, she really does remember the kiss as a dream. Sleep-drugged, she exits her room and finds Barry in the kitchen. He offers her coffee when he sees her. "Yes, please. Arh, my head feels like it's been struck with a shovel," she says and sits down at the table. Barry joins her with two cups of coffee. "It'll pass," Barry says and takes a sip of his coffee. Rosie sighs. "I had the weirdest dream..." she begins bringing Barry on edge. "What did you dream about?" he asks and tries to remain calm and unaffected. "I dreamed that... that you came into my room. We were talking about Sebastian... Then we kissed... I don't know. It sounds stupid, I know," Rosie says. Barry smiles. "It was just a dream."