Prologue

I killed my mother.

Inadvertently, of course. I'm not a monster.

My mother died shortly after giving birth to me. As per my Gift given to me by the Moon Goddess, I drained the life out of her as I took my first breath.

I was given the Gift of black magic. Magic meaning I can manipulate the physical world around me in various ways, black meaning that I have to drain energy from other life forms in order to have the power to make the magic work.

What should have been a blessing was a curse.

Not only did I drain the life out of my mother while she birthed me, but my father killed himself shortly after his mate perished.

My Gift didn't resurface for six more years after the death of my mother. At the time, my mother's death was attributed to natural causes. People die. It happens, and the rest of the pack moved on with their lives.

My grandmother assumed responsibility of me, and took care of me in our pack, Crimson Shadow. Six years after my cursed birth, I was playing with the Alpha's son, the future Alpha of Crimson Shadow, Killian.

We were playing tag, and I was it. He was fast, and as an unranked wolf, I was unable to keep up with him. I reached an arm out to him, willing for him to slow down.

I suddenly felt a huge influx of power. It ran through my blood like electricity, cackling, and begging to be exerted on to something.

My own fascination with the feeling was quickly replaced with fear as I heard the young Alpha to be cry out in pain. To my shock, his whole arm had blackened, and turned to dust right in front of my eyes.

I screamed, as did he.

Traumatic story short, the Alpha blamed me for his son's missing arm, and kicked me out of the pack, stating that I was too much of a hazard to be allowed around the pack members.

So, at six years old, I became a rogue. Luckily, my grandmother didn't hesitate to leave the pack with me, abandoning everything she had ever known.

That same grandmother, 10 years later, is currently on her deathbed.

Sitting at her side on a chair next to the bed, I held her hand as she laid peacefully on the bed, a small smile playing on her face.

"It's time, Nyx." My grandmother gently said, stroking my hand with her thumb affectionately.

Tears filled my eyes. "You could hold on a little bit longer, Grams," I pleaded with her helplessly.

She smiled sadly and shook her head weakly. "I have been waiting for this day since your grandfather passed away two decades ago. I'm sick and weak. The Moon Goddess is calling to me, I can feel it."

"You sound crazy, Grams," I informed her honestly, tears spilling out of my eyes.

"That's because I am, child," Her tone was playful even though her hands were shaking slightly. "It's my time to join my mate and my daughter."

I sobbed, not caring how petulant I sounded. "I don't know what to do without you. I'll be so lonely," I begged her to see it from my point of view.

Grams smiled gently at me, always keeping her spirits up, no matter the situation. Even on her deathbed, she held no anger or negativity. "You'll find your mate someday, child. You'll never know loneliness after that." Her gaze grew distant as she recalled memories of my grandfather. She had told me so many stories from when they were young. They had met when they were both 17, and it was love at first sight.

I made one last attempt to change her mind. "I can use my gift to heal you, Grams. I can go drain the life from a few trees and we can try-" Her stern voice interrupted me.

"Onyx, you have no business meddling in the natural circle of life. Dying from old age is not the worst way to go, you know," she said, her spirits lifted. She was excited to be reunited with her family.

"Then let the old age naturally take your life, why do I have to be the one to end it?" I begged, not wanting to drain the life out of the woman who raised me.

"I'm in pain, Onyx. I would like to go peacefully, on my own terms," her eyes turned glossy even though the small smile never left her face. "When you meet your mate, you will understand the compulsion to follow them wherever they go, even if it's into the dark."

My face scrunched up, but I didn't respond. Who was I to argue with a woman on her deathbed?

"It's time, Nyx. Do not worry, child. I wouldn't be leaving you if I didn't know you would be okay," She stroked the side of my face gently with her wrinkled hand as she wisely spoke.

I nodded, accepting defeat. I didn't see her reasoning, but I couldn't deny her dying wish. I threw my arms around her, making her chuckle. My tears wetted her grey hair as my face burrowed into her neck.

"Be strong, Nyx. Through everything you will endure, always be strong. More importantly, be kind. It is the only thing that doesn't make us complete beasts. Despite what you may think about your Gift, I know you are blessed by the Moon Goddess, and are pure at heart. Don't ever let your soul turn rotten," she advised me, and I pulled away, nodding. I would remember those words for as long as I live.

"Goodbye, Grams," I whispered, pain clouding my voice.

Her smile didn't falter. "It's not goodbye forever, child. Just for now. I will see you again, sooner than you think," Her tone was ominous, but I ignored it, knowing that it was just crazy lady on her deathbed talk.

"When I die, use the power you withdrew to turn me into a cherry tree seed," she requested, and I nodded, unquestioning. Wise as she is, she is also very strange.

"Do not despair, child. Returning to my Edmund is all I have desired for years. You are giving me the greatest gift," she wiped the tears from my cheeks. I was too choked up to speak, so I nodded once again.

I kissed her forehead, and she closed her eyes, smiling slightly.

I held my hand over her heart, and drained the life from it, causing a rush of power to wash over my body. Any time I took the life force of something it ran through my body powerfully. She took her last breath, and I never had more energy running through me.

Following her request, I used my magic to turn her into a cherry tree seed. I waved my hand over her body expertly, black fog expelling from my hands as I did so, physical evidence of my magic taking effect.

Soon, her body was replaced by a tiny seed.

I planted it outside of the cabin we had resided in for the last decade. I watered it every day without fail. That is, I did, until the day I met my mate.

Prologue is complete! What do we think so far? And yes, I'm aware that I have a dark writing style 😂