Chapter 65

Lucas' POV

The Seer is strange indeed.

She would mumble words under her breath as we pushed through the woods after stepping through Alpha Killian's portal, sometimes wiping trickling blood from her nose.

"Light meets dark," She whispers in horror, and her eyes glaze over. "She chose the darkness. She changed her mind."

Axel gives me a look that says: Don't ask.

Yet he looks at the Seer with admiration, catching her by the arm when she stumbles over her own feet, distracted by whatever it is she's seeing, and holds her upright until she shakes him off.

Strange. Very strange.

And then we stand in front of an empty clearing, and Katrina halts. The warriors look at her in confusion, and I wonder if she has led us into a trap. Ares certainly didn't seem to trust the young she-wolf.

"Where's Cain, Katrina?" Axel asks, his voice gentle, like he didn't want to cause her any distress by asking.

It doesn't seem to matter, because the Seer looks deeply disturbed nonetheless. "It's over," She whispers, her eyes full of pain. "So sorry, young wolf."

As she says those cryptic words, a large house suddenly appears in front of us.

And two rogues look at us in shock.

"Their smell," Axel says, recognition flashing across his face before switching to mindlink us. They're the rogues that have been killing Blood Lake wolves. Kill the girl before she can speak.

Warriors pounce on the two rogues before they have a change to react and tear them apart.

And then a small blonde girl walks out of the door.

She looks at the rogues and screams.

The wolves move to pounce on her, but Axel yells, "Stop!"

The wolves halt at his order. Without Cain or Ares around, Axel is at the top of the chain of command, and they listen to him like they would to their Alphas.

Axel stares at the blonde girl who runs to her deceased friends, crying over their bodies, his eyes wide.

"Axel?" I ask, waiting for him to command us to kill her.

"She's my mate," Axel says, his voice barely above a whisper.

And he gave the order to kill her friends.

He takes long strides to get to her, but Katrina grabs him by the arm and whispers something to him, something that I can't hear. He looks at her briefly before nodding and continuing his pursuit of his mate.

The blonde girl's head snaps up as the Beta approaches her. She looks confused for a moment, before her mouth drops open. "No," She snarls. "No. I'll die before letting you drag me to your fucking pack."

And she pulls out a knife and holds it to her throat.

Axel is quick to grab her by the wrist, and I wondered if Katrina warned him, tried to stop more bloodshed.

The blond girl's eyes stare deeply into Axel's. "Your emotions..." She whispers. "You're so... relieved. Happy."

Axel looks confused by her statement. "I've been looking for you for years. Of course, I'm happy."

And she drops her knife.

The Seer begins walking away from the scene, following whatever her Sight tells her to, and I follow her, leaving the other wolves behind.