Chapter 57

The walk back to the house is a short one, for which I am grateful. Summoning the Moon Goddess took more energy out of me than I anticipated, though I had a feeling it had more to do with what she said than the magical aspect.

When we get back to Finn's room, he leans over to kiss my cheek and bids me goodnight.

"Wait," I say in confusion as he turns to leave. "Where are you going?"

He blinks. "Um, to bed?"

I frown. "You don't want to stay?"

He chuckles lowly. "Want has nothing to do with it, my lovely mate."

My frown deepens. "Well, I just figured that since we're mates, you were expecting to-"

His voice cuts off my statement. "I expect nothing, Onyx. Besides you to get some rest, you look exhausted."

I realize then that I'm going about this all wrong. My terrible fighting skills is the only thing worse than my skill with talking to males. "Finn, will you stay with me tonight so I don't have to keep sneaking into your room?"

He looks surprised by my outright invitation, but I have no reason to be shy, not anymore. I have waited for happiness for too long, and at some point, it needs to become my responsibility to make it happen.

He pauses, and for a moment, I'm worried he may say no. "Do you still promise to keep your hands to yourself?" He teases, a grin slowly spreading across his face.

"No."

"Good," He responds, laughing, though his eyes widen slightly at my brazenness. "You weren't holding to that promise very well anyways."

I roll my eyes, but cross the room so I'm standing in front of him. I take his hand, the one he cut for the summoning, and inspect the wound. It hasn't healed yet.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Go to Ronin so he can heal you," I demand.

Finn looks amused. "It's just a cut, Onyx. I think I'll live."

"But it could get infected! What if a deadly bacteria goes into the wound while you're sleeping and when you wake up, it's green! And your eyes are yellow! And you die within the hour!" I panic, my voice rising slightly. I thought I already lost a mate, I could not lose another.

Finn laughs, pulling my head into his chest. "Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life?" He teases, and when I look up at him, his eyes are glowing in adoration.

And I realize that he's right. We are to be together for the rest of our lives. And the thought of being with Finn forever is not so scary at all.

In fact, I can't think of anything I want more.

"Please?" I switch to pleading, knowing that he won't tell me no. I don't know why the sight of his hand bleeding is so troublesome to me, but it is.

Finn sighs, but the corners of his mouth are still turned upwards. "Yes, dear," He replies slightly mockingly, once again kissing my forehead before leaving.

While he's gone, I take a bath, once again using his soap, but this time, I needn't make any excuses as to why. Everything makes sense. Finn makes sense.

And he is mine, as I am his.

That knowledge brings more color to my face, makes my eyes glow a little bit brighter. And when he returns, he looks nearly as happy as I feel.

When he walks in, he freezes, staring intensely at me. "I can't believe this is the sight I'll get to return to every night. There is no man more fortunate than I, not half as lucky nor blessed."