Chapter 58

He has truly shocked me.

And everything makes sense now. Kallista's eagerness, Finn's nervousness.

I promise this will be the second to last time you wake up alone.

He was talking about our wedding day.

My brain suddenly shuts down, only restarting when I remember that the question usually requires an answer.

"B-but, we barely know each other," I stammer out, but his grin doesn't falter. Maybe he expected that I would have reservations.

"We are mates. I know that I love you, that I will love you until the day I die, and well into the afterlife. I do not need to know anything else," He answers resolutely.

"But, but werewolves don't even get married!" I say, and I know I'm grasping at straws, when I'm really just trying to buy time.

Finn laughs at this. "You grew up on human television and movies, Onyx. Romance books and love songs. In many ways, you're more human than wolf. I want to show my love in a human way, not just wolf."

His words have the impact they were probably intending. He truly does understand me, better than anyone ever has, better than I even understand myself.

And all everyone wants is someone who understand them. Who sees them, their soul, and everything they are.

And Finn sees me. And I see him.

"Yes," I choke out, and tears run down my face. "Yes, I'll marry you!"

I throw my arms around him, half laughing, half crying. My emotions are all over the place, but the only thing certain about them is the love I have for Finn.

Finn pulls away from me, laughing breathlessly. He takes the ring out of the velvet box, and placed it on my finger. It fits perfectly.

His hands shake as he does so. "You'll have to forgive my unsteady hands," He apologizes. "You gave me quite a scare."

I laugh, still crying, and throw myself into his waiting arms once again. He puts his hands on my face, and stares deeply into my eyes. "You are so beautiful," He whispers, and my lips meet his.

Things get out of control from there.

We kiss each other with so much intensity, the sparks between us could have burnt down the entire forest. I wouldn't have cared if it did.

My hands go to his hair, and I shove my fingers through the curls, and he groans slightly. Our lips are feverish against each other, our tongues flickering like the flames of the candles that surround us.

I rip off his shirt, not caring when buttons fly in every direction, only caring about maximizing my contact with my mate. My mate, and soon, my husband.

He is much more gentle with me than I am with him, carefully lifting my dress above my head and setting it down lightly next to us. His patience infuriates me.

He laughs when I tug on his belt, willing it to come off. "Patience, my love," He whispers into my ear, sending a chill down my spine. "I have waited for you for so long, I will not rush this moment."

And he has waited for me. He has waited for me when I had forgotten him, when I shared my bed with another male. He has waited for me to heal from the wounds I received at the hands of that same male.

Screw patience.

Once he undoes his belt, I rip it from the loops, throwing it carelessly to the side, which only makes him chuckle more. In one swift movement, he wraps his arms around my lower back and my neck, laying me gently on the blanket.