Chapter 64

About an hour later, I hear two people arguing outside of the prison.

One of them, I realize, is Finn, though I can't make out what he's saying. The other voice is completely foreign to me.

"What are they saying?" I whisper to Cain, who's eyes are focused.

"Shh," He says, and I roll my eyes.

Eventually, the fighting stops.

"Who was Finn arguing with?" I ask him once it's been silent for awhile.

Cain looks pissed. "Wilson's bratty son. He must have been working with your mate against Ares."

Wilson's son? Wilson was the former Alpha of Red Crescent before Ares killed him, so his son must be next in line for the position. Until Ares rips him apart along with the rest of us.

"How would Finn even know him?" I ask in confusion. "He avoids packs, I doubt he would have approached a future Alpha."

Cain considers my question. "The Moon Goddess probably has been communicating with the two of them and brought them together to stop Ares."

"I'm sorry," I apologize lowly. "I knew that the Moon Goddess wanted Ares dead. She tried to get me to kill her myself a few weeks ago."

Cain looks at me blankly.

"I said no!" I say defensively, squirming under his intense stare.

"Why?" Cain asks curiously. "You would be able to destroy the entirety of Blood Lake easily with your Dark Gift if you wanted to."

Why, indeed? Ares certainly had given me more than enough reasons to kill her. And yet, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I avoid his question. "What were they talking about?" I ask nervously.

Cain sighs. "Sebastian wants to kill me now instead of waiting for the eclipse to start. Says that Ares will be weakened if our bond gets broken."

"And what did Finn say?"

He looks thoughtful. "He said that nobody is going to die today. Seemed adamant about that."

I exhale in relief. Maybe, just maybe, if Cain wasn't killed, Ares would have mercy.

Unlikely.

Cain looks at me curiously. "Your mate, Finn. Do you love him more than you loved Thane?"

"Yes," I answer simply.

Cain looks disappointed by my answer, I'm guessing because Thane is his cousin.

And then Cain's eyes widen as he looks at me.

His nostrils flare, and his face suddenly looks anxious.

"Onyx, did you complete the mating bond with Finn?" He asks slowly.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, jerkwad, not that it's any of your business. If this is about Thane then you should know that-"

"It's not about Thane," He says harshly. "You have to get out of here, right now."

I look around the cell. "Umm, not to be rude, but the whole point of Finn locking me in a prison is so that I can't get out."

"You have to get out of here, now," Cain hisses, his voice desperate. "Beg Finn. Do whatever you have to do. You can't be here."

His words confuse me and, quite honestly, terrify me. He hadn't even looked this troubled when he was talking about his own death.