Chapter 28

*Casually sips my tea as my readers go absolutely ballistic from my Chapter 28 in Lethal update* Nice day outside, innit?

Lol but seriously go read the two Lethal updates cause... LOL. There are no words.

Anyways, here's an update before y'all tear me apart.

I couldn't sleep.

Who would be able to in my position? I was about to either get killed or possibly kill someone. The anxiety over the threat left my stomach in knots. Not even having Thane hold me through the night was enough to quell my anxieties.

I could barely stop my hands from shaking as I pulled on a pair of black leggings and a black crop top, trying to channel some of Ares' brutality.

"How do you feel?" Thane asked quietly from behind me as I braided my hair in the mirror. My hands were shaking too badly to make tight braids, and I made a frustrated sound as I decided to just leave them loose.

"How do you think I feel?" I muttered sourly.

Thane sighed. "I know, little one. I know. I'm so sorry. It'll be over soon."

Hopefully he doesn't mean my life, I thought bitterly to myself as we went downstairs, where Ares and Luke were sitting, eating breakfast.

Ares didn't look up, her concentration fully on her smoothie. Luke looked at me in curiosity.

"I have to go help set everything up for the challenge," Thane told me apologetically. "I'll see you there, okay? I won't be able to talk to you because... well, you'll see. You'll do great, little one," Thane said as he pressed his lips against my forehead. "Everything will be fine. See you soon."

With those words, he left the pack house, and I realized that it could potentially be the last time I ever felt the touch of my mate. Everything I do could technically be the last time I do it, and the thought made my stomach plummet.

I ate a bowl of cereal, barely able to swallow, and everything tasted like dirt. Lucas went to sit on the couch, and called me over. I went over to him, my legs feeling like Jell-O.

"Sit down, I'll fix your braid," Luke said quietly. At the look of confusion on my face, he said, "My mom taught me how to braid hair. Said my mate would appreciate it."

I nodded, swallowing thickly. His hands were gentle as he undid my crappy braid, and replaced it with a much tighter one.

Ares sat across from me as he continued working on my hair. Her face was completely blank, a serious mask that sent chills down my spine. She really is the most lethal wolf I have ever met. "Attack first," She reminded me, repeating the same words she had beat into me over the last few weeks. "After you first injure her, do it again. Don't wait for her to strike back. Go for the throat. If she's protecting heavily there, which I'm assuming she will be, go for the legs. Incapacitate her quickly, however you can. If you get injured, don't show any pain. Don't show any fear, it'll just encourage her wolf and the next attack will be more brutal and assured than the last."

I nod, completely numb. Luke reassuringly squeezes my shoulder. I heard a knock at the door, and Ares practically sprinted to answer it.

Alpha Cain and Axel came for the Challenge, and were going to take Ares back to Blood Lake later that night.

Ares threw herself into Cain's waiting arms, and they shared a passionate kiss as Axel greeted me. "Onyx," He said, no traces of humor or friendliness in his tone, as he grasped the seriousness of today.

We wasted no time with pleasantries as we started heading for the clearing that Ares showed me beforehand, where we had been training me in wolf form.