Chapter 59

When I get back to our house, it's Dean who is the first to greet me.

He throws open the door before I even have a chance to touch the handle, and I jump in surprise.

My surprise only amplifies when he pulls me in for a tight hug, putting his chin on the top of my head. "You're in so much trouble," He whispers into my hair.

"Is that Onyx? Is she back?" I hear Kallista call out, followed by footsteps.

Dean pulls away, only for Kallista to take his place. "I'm going to kill you," She says, squeezing me tightly.

"Can't... breathe..." I gasp through her iron grip.

Kallista hugs me even tighter before finally releasing me. "Don't do that ever again," She says, and my eyes widen when I see that hers are filled with tears.

"I won't," I say, shocked by their emotional reactions to me leaving. "How did you guys-"

Ronin walks up, his face unreadable. "We always have someone keeping watch at night, in case if any rogues stumble past the house and need shelter."

"I saw you leave," Dean says, his eyes sad. "I woke up Finn to tell him, and once he got back from chasing after you, he told us where you went."

Kallista throws her arms up. "I mean seriously, Onyx! What the hell were you thinking, going back to him? What the hell were you thinking, leaving us again?"

I'm at a loss for words, shocked by these wolves' concern. I really hadn't expected them to notice, especially not care this much.

"What Kallista means to say," Ronin says gently. "Is that we were worried about you."

"I-I'm sorry," I stutter, still shell shocked. "I didn't know-"

"You didn't know what, Onyx?" Dean demands, sounding uncharacteristically upset. "That we care about you? You're a part of our family. You can't just be going on random trips alone in the middle of the night without telling us!"

"Guys, lay off," Finn suddenly appears, his voice somber. "Can you leave us alone for a minute?"

With one last disappointed look at me, they leave the room, and I wish they hadn't, because now I have to face Finn.

"Hi," I say awkwardly.

"Hey," He says, his eyes softening.

"Finn, listen, I'm so sorry," I begin my apology, but he pulls me into his arms, and I immediately relax into them. For some reason, I start to cry.

"Shh, it's okay, my love," He whispers, pressing his lips against his Mark, making me whimper. "You're back now, that's all that matters."

He strokes my hair and holds me in his arms until the crying stops. "Let's go run you a bath and we can talk about it, okay?" He suggests, and I nod gratefully.

Finn picks me up in his arms and carries me to our room. Once the bath is ready, and after he gently strips me and places me in the water, he sits on the floor, leaning back against the wall.

"I saw him," I blurt out after a few moments of silence. "Thane. He was there."

Finn's eyes widen. "Did you..?"

I shake my head. "Kill him? No. But... He practically asked me to."

Finn looks relieved by my answer, albeit slightly confused. "He asked you to kill him?"

I sigh, closing my eyes and sinking deeper in the water. "It was bad, Finn. He looked really bad. He was so... broken. I don't understand it. I don't understand him."