Chapter 20

After a brief argument over who was going to drive one of Thane's many expensive sports cars, Ares climbed into the driver's seat, smiling victoriously.

Gwen was grumbling as she got into the passenger seat. "Fine, but I'm driving for the ride back."

I climbed into the backseat, admiring the red leather seats that contrasted beautifully against the sleek, black exterior.

I may have to convince Cain to get me one of these, Ares muttered in appreciation when the car started without the engine making any sound besides a soft murmur.

"Tell him to get me one too, while he's at it," Gwen chipped in, laughing as she ran her hand over the leather. "Onyx, you know Thane would get you whatever car you want, right? You should totally take advantage of that."

"I... um," I scratch my head, embarrassed. "I, uh, don't know how to drive. You know, what with being rogue and all."

"Wait, but you've been to human towns before? How'd you get there?" Gwen inquired, turning around in her seat to look at me as Ares drove out of Thane's territory, listening to the online GPS' directions.

"My friend Grey always drove us," I answered.

"Oooh, your friend huh?" Gwen asked as she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

God, Gwen. Not everyone thinks about mating 24/7, Ares rolled her eyes.

"Oh come on! Onyx, you're telling me you've never had hot rogue sex with this Grey guy?"Gwen insisted.

My cheeks burned. "No, Gwendolyn, gosh. It was never like that."

Her eyebrow raised as her mouth quirked to the side. "What, is he some kind of gremlin?" She asked.

I laughed, "No, he's pretty attractive. Very muscular, seems like your type actually," I subtly allude to her attraction to Leo.

She snorts. "Well, if he ever decides to rejoin civilization, you give him my number. Not everyone is opposed to hot rogue sex."

For fuck's sake, Gwen, Ares chastises her, but I can see her smile.

"I'm just saying," Gwen defends herself and putting her hands up. "Were you born a rogue?" She asks a minute later.

"No," I surprise myself by answering. "I was born into a pack. It, ah, didn't work out."

Thane says you've been rogue for a long time, Ares points out. How old were you when you left your pack?

I could feel this turning into an interrogation, so I decide to shut it down. "Young. Hey, how much longer until we get there?"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Neither Gwen nor Ares brought up the rogue thing for the rest of the ride, and I could feel the knot in my stomach loosen by the time we pulled into the parking lot.

"Okay, Ares. Quick reminder: No knives, no breaking a guy's hand for talking to you, and absolutely no showing your half cut out tongue to anyone to freak them out when they try talking to you," Gwen instructs as Ares rolls her eyes. "Do not roll your eyes at me, ma'am, you have done all of those things before."

"Onyx, you seem like a normal human being unlike the grinch over here, so I'm assuming I don't need to tell you how to act in public?" Gwen asked, and Ares flipped her off. I will say in her civilian clothes, which consisted of leggings, an oversized black hoodie, and running shoes, she looked much less threatening. If it weren't for the large scar that ran down her eyebrow to the bottom of her cheek and her one white eyeball, she would actually fit in fine in human society. She even wore her long, white-ish hair down, not pulled back or braided.