Chapter 34

I had a weird uploading issue and had to delete everything and reformat, so if the chapter looks all messed up, just close out of Wattpad or refresh.

I'm restless, unable to sleep that night, half-expecting Finn to show up, and the thought makes me clutch the shard of glass for some semblance of control over a situation that is so, so clearly out of my control.

Once the sun began to peak through the windows, I knew it was only a matter of time before he came back, turning my stomach in a combination of fear and anxiety. Sure enough, I heard a soft knock at the door.

"Come in," I quietly say, although I'm sure he would have anyway. It's not like kidnappers are known for abiding by boundaries.

The door opens slowly, and he looks nervous as he walks in, holding a tray of food and beverages. I raise an eyebrow at the large assortment of breakfast foods.

He scratches his head awkwardly as he places the food on the bed. "I, um, didn't know what you liked, so I just made everything."

I nod, surprised by his thoughtfulness. Until I remembered that I'm chained to the bed like a wild animal.

I hesitate as I pick up the fork. "I didn't poison or drug it or anything," He quickly says. "I can eat some of it first if you don't believe me."

Shaking my head, I spear a piece of fruit. "It... It's okay, I believe you," I say quietly, and for some odd reason, I really do. He seemed nervous, shy, awkward. If it had not happened to me, I never would have believed that he was capable of kidnapping someone.

He exhales in relief. "Good, okay. That's good."

I eat in silence, realizing that I hadn't eaten in awhile. "Do you like it? I can get you something else if you want," He offers timidly.

I gulp the orange juice nervously. "No, the food is lovely, thank you."

"I, um, brought you a book," He says, his voice soft as he pulls out a thick book.

"A Tale of Two Cities?" I question, inspecting he cover. It's worn, like it's been well-loved and well-read. I flip through it and see that there are notes in the margins, words underlined, and some pages folded at the corner.

"Yeah, ah, I'm sorry it's not in the best condition," He frowns, looking at it.

I shrug. "I do the same thing to mine. It makes rereading them better."

He looks at me, his eyes widening slightly. "Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Have you read it?"

"No," I murmur, putting it to the side. "Never got around to it. Although now I suppose I have nothing but time on my hands."

Finn winces at my words. "This... This is just temporary, Onyx. I promise you that much. I just need you to understand this first."

"What exactly am I supposed to understand, Finn?" I question, my voice dangerously low. "You've kidnapped me twice, drop the 'mate' bomb on me, and for some reason, give me food and books. What exactly do you want from me?"

"All I want is you," He whispers. "A future with you, as mates. I know... I know that I haven't exactly given us a very good 'meet cute' as they say... But we are perfect for each other, Onyx. You're my other half."

I stare at him, looking for signs of deception, but finding none. Unnerving, because that means he fully believes in his delusions. "Are you going to take my Gift away again?" I ask quietly, and I can't help my voice from cracking pathetically.

His face twists into sadness. "Oh, Onyx. I am so sorry I had to do that the first time. I didn't have a choice. Never again," His hand reaches out for mine, and I fight the urge to pull away, despite the warmth that stems from his touch. "I will never hurt you again."