21 - night shift

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Third Person POV

      It had been a few days since Renee and Maddox last saw each other. They kept in contact through text and call whenever possible, although they were both insanely busy. Maddox spent most of his time with Jay, handling mafia-related issues from his office at home. These issues included new alliances, weaponry, and security. He was working himself to death, but it had to be done in order for things to run smoothly.

         Renee was taking opening and closing shifts at the diner, as quite a few of her coworkers took vacation time off. She really didn't mind it though; working gave Renee a sense of purpose. She waited on tables and hung out with Paul, who she was lucky to have there. Renee loved to joke around with him, he was easygoing and funny.

       It was almost time for her lunch break, and she walked up to the counter where a note was placed. It was folded neatly into a rectangle, reading Renee on the outer portion, adorned with doodled hearts. She opened it and read the note, laughing.

    Be my date for lunch bitch!
We have to catch up ;)

    -Paul, your favorite guy.

      Paul was so extravagant that it wasn't even a joke. Renee looked up from the note to see Paul standing by the coffee machine, whistling and looking away. What a great tactic for acting natural, she thought.

"Hey! I guess I'll go to lunch with you."

Paul turned around to face Renee, who he had already known was there. He smiled and winked at her.

"You guess? Girl, it would be an honor to go to lunch with me."

"Hmmm, not too sure about that one."

"Get your ass over here! Let's go."

Renee opened the gate, going behind the counter with Paul. He ruffled her wavy brown hair, showing the advantage he had over her with his height. It seemed as if Renee was short compared to literally everyone else she crossed paths with. Although, she was only 5'5, which she had considered an average height. Renee rolled her eyes at him, turning on her heels and walking into the break room.

She grabbed her purse and sunglasses from the bench against the wall, propping them on her nose before walking back out to Paul. Her sunglasses were black and a bit oversized, with two diamonds sitting on either side of the top rims. Paul looked at her and smiled.

"Real Hollywood, aren't you?"

"Of course, darling."

Renee teased, lowering the glasses a bit so she could give him a look. She then walked away, leaving him scrambling to keep up with her. Taking quick strides, she walked through the front door, holding it for Paul. He thanked her and the two began to walk to Starbucks, which was a block or two away. The two engaged in small talk until they reached the cafe.

      Renee ordered her lunch, consisting of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and a coffee. Paul got a tomato and mozzarella sandwich along with an iced tea, his usual order. The pair sat down at a table near the back of the cafe, getting settled in. Renee bit into her sandwich, looking up mid-bite to see Paul staring at her. He sat with his arms crossed, staying quiet. She finished her bite of food and shifted uncomfortably in her seat.