23 - taken

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Renee POV

Looking up, I immediately regretted doing so.

I stared at the black boots for a moment, slowing willing my eyes to move upwards in order to identify the intruder. Trembling in fear, I took in the sight of the man. He wore dark gray jeans and a black hoodie. He looked muscular and buff, like he could crush me with just one finger. A shiver ran down my spine at the thought. I strained my eyes trying to see his face in the dark lighting.

It looked as if he has a mask on, it was only possible for me to see the minimal light reflect off his eyes. I tried to control my shaking hands, staying frozen in the spot I stood in. Suddenly, I heard more footsteps. I immediately flinched and took as many steps back as I could before I bumped into the coffee machine behind me. The impact of my back against the machine made a loud noise, making me jump and look down at the ground. Fuck.

       Gathering the courage, I looked up to see now two men. They were dressed similarly, and it was impossible for me to see either of their faces. They stood in front of the gate to the counter. I had no means of escape. Their boots clunked against the floor as they swiftly opened the gate and made their way towards me. Even more panic set in, and I ran to the break room. It was in the back of the store, quite far behind the counter. I ran as fast as I could, speeding up when I heard the men running after me.

"Fucking get her, dumbass!"

        A gravelly voice cut through the silence, scolding the other man. They were definitely close, his voice sounded as if they could've been just a few feet behind me. I finally reached the break room, scrambling inside and closing the door. Before I could lock the door, the handle began to jiggle. My breathing was labored as I tried to get ahold of the door handle, but it continued to move from the outside.

"This will be so much easier if you just cooperated, sweetheart."

       I inwardly gagged at the man's choice of words. It felt like there was no way out of this situation I was thrown into. The door handle continued to jiggle as I began to hear pounding against the door.

"Open up, don't make this fucking difficult."

     The other man spoke, his voice deep and irritated. It was his fists that pounded against the wooden door as the other man continued to jiggle the door knob, not letting me lock it. I struggled against the knob, hoping he'd give up so I could at least lock the door and catch my breath. They did no such thing.

"Fuck this. Girl, I'd back up if I were you."

      I didn't dare to respond as the pounding on the door ceased, although the door handle was still held in place by the man on the other side of the door.

"Have it your way, then."

     Less than a second later, I felt a throbbing pain in my forehead as I was sent flying to the ground. I whimpered as I rubbed my head, peeling my eyes open. The door was kicked down, white dust covering the floor. Both of the men quickly approached me, causing me to release a loud scream. They both stood on either side of me, and began to reach for my arms.

       I struggled and fought against them, yelling as  loud as I could. But no one was here to help me. I was completely alone. My eyes welled up with tears, blurring my vision as the men each grabbed one of my arms and lifted me up. I shoved the one man with my elbow, to which he had no reaction whatsoever. I flailed my arms and pushed against them to no avail.

      I was held in an iron grip as a white cloth began to block my line of sight. I shook my head wildly, straining my neck back as far as possible. The cloth was pressed tightly over my nose and mouth, and I held my breath.

"Just breathe in. You can't fight forever, bitch."

     The man kicked the back of my shin harshly, causing me to let out a groan. I refused to breathe in through my nose, quickly becoming lightheaded. My throat became tight and my lungs ached for air. Giving up, I inhaled through my nose, breathing in a very chemical smell. It was putrid, and I weakly tried to pull away. My body suddenly went limp, solely supported by the awful men holding me up. The unknown chemicals attacked my body as I became drowsy and my eyes began to droop.

Then, everything went black.

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Maddox POV

"Boss, I found out where she is."

Faster than the speed of light, I turned from the window and practically ran to Justin, who still sat in front of the computer screen. I stood in front of him, tapping my foot against the floor anxiously.

"Where?"

Justin scrolled down through the computer, looking through the diagnostics.

"She must have her phone on her, so I was able to track it. If not, her phone was brought somewhere else to throw us off. But, the location shows the warehouse downtown."

I began to pace again, a new nervous habit of mine.

"Who the fuck would bring her there? That warehouse was demolished. It's been abandoned for years; there's nothing left of it.

Jay walked over to me, rubbing his hand over the creases of his forehead.

"Exactly. Whoever it was figured it was a good home base. The place is basically rubble, but I know what isn't."

"Don't bullshit, Jay. Tell me," I gritted through my teeth.

"Underground, Maddox. Everything above it was demolished, it's all ruins. We can get downtown in like 20 minutes and figure shit out from there."

      I turned to Justin, who simply nodded in my direction. This situation was becoming more and more complex by the second. We didn't know who took Renee or how we would be able to reach her. But at least we had a location. It wasn't much, but it was something. I just wanted her beside me, safe and happy. I couldn't even imagine how much I'd hate myself if she was hurt. It would be entirely my fault for not protecting her. I would save her, even if it was the last thing I did.

"Let's fucking get moving, then."

I ran out of the room, slamming the door behind me and not looking back. There was one thing on my mind at the moment, and one thing only.

Saving Renee.

The woman I'm undeniably in love with.