38 - confrontation

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Jay POV

   I watched speechlessly for a moment as the petite brunette walked away, clutching the balled up tissue she'd used to dry her tears in her fist. Renee was purely heart-broken, to the extent that there wasn't a single doubt in my mind that the pain she was feeling was equivalent to mine.

   Maddox is an extremely important part of our lives, and having him torn away from us so suddenly hit both of us like a freight train. Even worse, there was nothing we could do. We were rendered helpless, the only thing to possibly do being pray for the best, that he'd wake up and recover.

   Savannah pulled me out of my thoughts by gently gripping my arm, leading me away as Renee turned the corner at the end of the hallway, disappearing from my line of vision. We sat down in the waiting room in chairs beside each other once again, no words exchanged.

   I sighed tiredly, causing Savannah to turn her head to face me. Her baby blue eyes met mine as she allowed a bright, reassuring smile to lift upon her lips. I offered a weak smile back, the most I could get myself to smile at that moment, at least. Savannah's eyes lit up slightly at the positive sign.

She leaned in and pressed her lips against mine, just for a second, before pulling away and squeezing my hand comfortingly.

   Within the short amount of time I've known Savannah, I've noticed that when she stops talking and observes, which is rare as she's more than outgoing, she's able to read people extremely well. Right now, she knew that I simply needed someone to lean on, that all words needed to be spoken already had.

I'm grateful to have her in my life, now more than ever.

   The waiting room was relatively quiet at this time in the morning, a few people coming in and out every so often. The cool air that ventilated the area caused goosebumps to rise on my skin as I rested my head on Savannah's shoulder, watching in a dazed state as she mindlessly scrolled through her Instagram feed.

   I felt drained, as though all the energy had been sucked out of me, both mentally and physically. In the thick silence surrounding us, I was left alone with my flow of thoughts that seemed louder than ever.

   Guilt ate away at my conscience as I contemplated all the things I could have done differently. This could have been avoided, if I hadn't stupidly left Maddox alone in that shit hole. All the what-ifs and regrets flooded my mind as I wallowed in them, dazed.

By the time I came back to the real world, I'd checked the clock hanging on the wall by the receptionist's desk, squinting my sleepy eyes in order to see clearly.

   I scrunch my eyebrows together upon seeing that it had been half an hour since Renee left to go to the bathroom. Concern began to overtake me as I sprung onto my feet, Savannah's confused gaze following my movements as she looked up from her phone.

"You okay?" She asked softly, pushing a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear.

"Renee's been gone for half an hour, I'm gonna' go check to make sure she didn't get lost or some shit." I responded, putting my hand in my pocket.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Savannah questioned, placing her hands on the arms of her seat as if preparing to stand up.