41 - the kiss of an angel

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Renee POV

Jay's story came to an end, the cliffhanger of Ace overhearing their conversation leaving me that much more curious. It was silent for a moment, Jay solely focusing on the road as he continued the drive home.

"From that point on, Ace's livelihood, or lack thereof, went into a downwards spiral." He said tiredly.

Looking into the rearview mirror, Jay made eye contact with me in the backseat, making sure I was listening before speaking again.

"Maddox and his father even offered Ace a chance to work under Maddox's leadership. But that would come with a hit to Ace's "larger than life" ego," Jay raised one of his hands from the steering wheel, using it to form air quotes emphasizing his words.

"So he refused every opportunity they gave him."

Savannah and I listened intently, wanting to hear more of what he had to say.

"Ace truly believed he was meant to lead the mafia, and nothing anyone said would convince him otherwise." Jay explained.

"All that pent up anger he had was clearly getting worse, the fucker made it clear by doing everything possible to make our lives a living hell."

"He'd lash out at everyone day in and day out, more aggressively as time passed. The jealousy and hatred were the only things he was able to feel at that point." He remarked.

"And then, he disappeared."

"After all those years, he decided now was the time to show up?" Savannah implored.

Jay sighed expressionlessly, nodding.

"And he's back with a vengeance, that's for sure." I maintained, mentally running through a list of everything Ace has done within such a short period of time.

"Ace'll never see the light of day again, trust me on that." Jay affirmed.

"Jay, did you kill him already?" Savannah questioned, curiosity getting the best of her.

Jay shook his head, clenching his jaw.

"The last thing that man deserves is the easy way out,"

"He's very much alive, and he'll get what he has coming to him." He disparaged.

   In the midst of our intense conversation, I hadn't noticed that we'd pulled up to our house, as Jay swiftly parked and took the key out of the ignition. The three of us exited the car, not having much to say as we walked up to the front door and went inside.

The house was illuminated by breaks of sunlight through the blinds on each window, making the space look far more warm and comforting than usual after being in the hospital for what felt like ages.

Jay immediately plopped down on the couch, letting a deep breath he's seemed to be holding in. Savannah followed in suit, seating herself on the couch next to him, resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes.

I smiled softly, "I'm gonna' go take a quick shower."

Jay gave a quick thumbs up as Savannah nodded tiredly, leaving me to turn and make my way up the stairs.

I showered peacefully, taking my time. The feeling of the warm water running over my body was calming, the heat massaging away the anxious tension that had made me feel so stiff. The glass walls of the shower had fogged up several minutes ago, and the steady sound of the water running was the only thing I focused on as I pretended the world outside this glass box didn't exist, for just a moment.