24 - safe

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Third Person POV

The room was dark, and damp. It had the feel of a box, with no windows or furniture. The only light that could be seen was that of the small sliver of open space beneath the door, which was bolted shut. Men's voices practically bounced off the walls of the enclosed area, echoing loudly. No noise went unnoticed here. Every breath, move, any sound whatsoever reached the ears immediately.

Renee began to stir, as she was laying against a hard wall. The feeling of cool metal against her wrists was prominent. She slowly moved her wrists in a state of sleepiness, hearing a clinking sound. Panic set in. Her eyes shot open, only to see the same thing she had seen beneath closed eyelids. Pitch black darkness. She strained her eyes to try and identify her surroundings, to no avail.

She started to run her tongue over the roof of her dry mouth, only to feel a piece of cloth blocking it. She was gagged. Her body began to shake, and the clinking sound returned at her movements. Lifting her arms, she pulled just a bit until she was kept from doing so any further, as the chains connected to her wrist were held to the wall. Movement, if any, was extremely limited.

Salty tears ran down her cheeks as she remembered the two men at the diner. How she was thrown about like a doll, kicked, and drugged. A strangled sob escaped her lips from around the gag in her mouth. The sound echoed off the walls and footsteps followed. Renee nervously tried to pull out of the handcuffs that kept her against the wall, only for her wrists to sting in pain. That was gonna bruise.

       Before she could move any further, the door was aggressively pulled open sending a stream of yellow light into the compact space. Renee recoiled and squinted at the bright light, as her eyes were adjusted to the darkness. She squeezed her eyes shut as she shook viciously. She felt someone approaching her, and curled up into a fetal position.

"Open your eyes!"

Renee's hair was pulled at the roots, causing her to yelp in pain. Her eyes immediately shot open.

She was met by the sight of a man. He was bulky and very tall as he stood above her small figure. Her eyes travelled up his face as she tried to pull away from his grip on her hair. Suddenly, she realized how familiar he looked. Images of the two men who had attacked her filled her mind.

Running away from them in fear before Maddox safely got her away from them.

Waking up the next morning with her shirt torn and bruising on her wrists.

Her diamond bracelet dangling in Jay's hand, the one they had used to pay Maddox back.

Maddox's words as he punched the men in anger.

"You fuckers. You tried to hurt my girl."

"You should've known you were in for hell."

Her green eyes met his dark, almost black ones as she trembled beneath him. His hand was still wrapped tightly in her hair, leaving her scalp sore. She winced when he broke eye contact and released her hair from his grip, throwing her away from him. Renee's head hit the hard concrete wall behind her, resulting in her whimpering in agony.

Pressing her back up against the wall, her eyes travelled around the room that was now shadowy and dimly lit. At the door, she saw the other man standing guard. He was just as bulky as the first man, and leaned against the door frame just in case she tried to get past them. Renee didn't see how this was necessary, she couldn't even get out of the handcuffs, let alone try to run past them.

The man must've realized this as well, and began to walk over to Renee and his partner who still stood dangerously close to her. He took a strand of her dark hair and twirled it around his stubby pointer finger. Renee writhed beneath his touch in disgust, her screams muffled behind the gag.

"You know Rob, I can see now why we went after her in the first place. She's hot,"

This comment made Renee nauseous as tears brimmed in her eyes. The man released her hair from around his finger, and caressed her face. Renee turned her head to the side, his hand falling from her face. She stayed this way, facing the wall in hopes that the awful men would leave her alone. The first man, Rob, walked over to the side of the room she was facing, and held her arm tightly. Renee groaned in pain, his large hand crushing her frail arm.

"Eye contact, princess. You don't want to see what happens if you make this difficult."

The man then slapped her across the face, a burning sensation running over her smooth skin. The slap had given her whiplash, and she attempted to stretch her neck as tears started to run down her face yet again. Afraid of what would happen if she didn't, Renee looked up at the two men who now stood above her. They had malicious grins on their faces, making her shiver.

"You know why you're here?" Rob snarled.

Renee slowly shook her head, assuming they wanted a response.

"Carson, take the fucking gag out."

Carson, the second man, walked over to Renee and she began to sob harder. Trying to back up more, she couldn't. Her back was pressed against the wall so harshly that it was causing her spine to ache. He quickly removed the gag, and Renee took a deep breath, coughing loudly. Both of the men backed away, enjoying her pain.

"You ratted us out, bitch." Rob's voice rang in Renee's ears as she coughed.

Carson simply stood next to Rob, enjoying the look of affliction on Renee's innocent face.

"You're the one that ruined our reputation. You made us look like shit. Now we can't make any more deals, we don't even have anything to live off of."

Rob stalked towards her like a predator to its prey. He crouched down next to her on the cool ground, jabbing her in the chest with his finger. Pain erupted throughout her chest at the rough sudden contact and she released a blood curdling scream.

"Get away from me!"

Renee kicked her feet and flailed her arms, but Rob didn't even flinch.

"And it's all your fault, sweetheart."

Hatred dripped off his voice as he intimidatingly looked her in the eyes. As he went to raise his hand, a loud alarm sounded throughout the area. The piercing sound showed no signs of stopping as lights on the ceiling began to flash bright red.

"Fuck!"

Rob and Carson ran out of the room, slamming the door shut behind them and locking it. Renee sat alone in the pitch black room again, trembling and crying more than she ever had in her life.

After what felt like hours of sitting there, she heard pounding on the door, and automatically expected the worst. They were back, and they were going to do much worse than they already had. She shook violently as she curled up into a ball.

Suddenly, the door was kicked down, the floor covered in white dust. Renee looked up in shock. Thinking she was hallucinating, she squeezed her eyes shut and opened them again. He was there. Maddox. She wasn't imagining it. Time stopped as he ran over to her and began to release her from the harsh restraints.

"Renee! I'm so sorry baby. Oh my god,"

Maddox took Renee in his strong arms, cradling her. She wrapped her arms around his neck as she continued to tremble, sobbing into his chest. Maddox felt his eyes fill with tears as he rubbed her back and sniffled. They stood like this for a moment, until Renee's breathing slowed and she calmed down somewhat. Her body was exhausted, and her eyes began to droop tiredly.

"You're okay, love. You're safe now."