CHAPTER 33: Well, hello soon-to-come death

Slight change here... CALEB'S POV!!! Wanted to spice things up a little so here it is. Let me know if you guys liked it or not and whether I should do more of this. Enjoy!

***

People are always drawn to opposites, restrictions, boundaries and all that. It's always a challenge for the human mind to cross a certain boundary that the heart creates for the benefit of the person. At one point or another in life, we are always pulled toward breaking the rules just in order to have the one thing that we've never had. Or to experience a certain feeling.

The day I met Summer Jones was a particular day I hated to be disturbed. The pressure from Coach to do my best was already enough up until mom and dad filled my mind to the top. There was no way I was going to join dad's law firm to debate on some stupid cases for some assholes who can't handle themselves from doing illegal shit. So, because of that my already pissed brain almost exploded when someone hit my fucking nose with the fucking ball.

At first, I didn't feel anything when I saw her. Sure I admired her courage considering the fact that she's the only girl who decided to take up a challenge against many people by joining a boys' team. But the moment that sassy mouth of hers spewed shit at me, I lost it and decided to make her life a living hell. I hated her with all my might and that was wrong on my part I know. But as I said, we met under wrong circumstances. There was still a thought bothering me and that was why the hell she wasn't attracted to my charms. I couldn't keep away from disturbing her or annoying her just to see her angry, red face. But the more I annoyed her, the more the hope in my heart continued to grow. I wanted to annoy her every day. And the strange thing?

Only I wanted to be the annoying guy in her life.

Noel pretty much knows me inside out. He knows me well from my family life to my inner hidden feelings. We've been friends since diaper days because our families knew each other. And that, therefore, meant they were also rich and well off like us. But there is a stark difference there – his parents weren't assholes like mine.

Although he's the closest to me, that doesn't mean he is not annoying when it comes to Summer. The guy has been on my neck ever since I talked about that girl one time. One single time and he thinks I'm smitten by her.

Am I?

She makes me feel differently. I dated Veronica at the beginning of high school just for the sake of it. So did she. It's not like she's in love with me. Her father knows mine quite well and so she's always there at all his parties. Veronica is annoying and a stuck up bitch, that I will agree. We hooked up once at a party and that's when we started dating. I've been wanting to break up with her but she just becomes too much to handle that even a conversation with her will leave me panting for space.

And the urge to break up with her has never been so strong until Summer strolled in, declaring she hates that bitch. I don't know why my instincts acted stronger upon Summer's revelation of hatred for Veronica but I still wanted to do it. And I wanted to do it properly so she gets the hint once and for all. Also because she's been mean to Summer all along.

Getting closer to Summer on an emotional level was so overwhelming to me that day, I remember. It was just the two of us in front of that perfect view of the lake. I wanted to console her that night. Damn my feelings. But I did. I just wanted to hold her. But I controlled myself and just listened to her.

I shake my head and run my fingers through my wet, tousled hair. It's not the first time thoughts of her have crept up on me like this but it still feels new and strange every single time. I put on my pants and with my shirt balled up in my fist, I walk out of the locker room, my legs still twitching from the tiring game. She did it. She saved the fucking team from losing. I softly smile at how I found her and talked her into concentrating on the game. I still wanted to find out why she was crying like that in the locker room but I remind myself I can't get that close to her.