chap 1

"Melody baby you have to be quite" my mom said as we were hiding in the bathroom. 

Truth be told, that was the fifth noise I made. 

Granted, I was scared for my life.

Not long ago, two armed men broke into my childhood home inquiring my father about some money. 

Forcing and eventually having their way with my dad, we went upstairs to the bathroom in an attempt to hide and be spared from a grim future. 

As my seven-year-old mind tried to calm itself I quickly became frightened as the yelling coming from downstairs made its way up. 

Nervously and subconsciously I walked backward bumping into the shower, letting out a yelp as the noise pushed my nerves over the edge. 

Products begin falling in the dome-shaped tub making a loud thump as they land in their resting places.

"What was that?" one of the men asked " Is someone home?" the other one asked in a more argumentative tone 

"Shit melody shhh" my sister said to me tears, rightfully swelling in her eyes as she looked at me pleading. 

We weren't normally allowed to say bad words, typically this would be the point my mother started a lecture. 

But alas this was nothing of a typical day let alone situation. 

Just like clockwork, I began to hear hard loud footsteps hit the stairs as they made their way to the upstairs bathroom. 

My stomach dropped and my breath hitched in my throat. 

"Come" my mother spoke lowly yet stren. 

My body became motionless as my head felt light. I went to move my legs but it was like I was sinking into the floor around me. 

My Mom rushed over to me as she knew we had little to no time. 

The footsteps became closer as they rounded the corner, soon approaching the bathroom door with my father held hostage. 

My mom grabbed me up and put me in the closet behind some bins. 

She then turned to my older sister grabbing her, yet due to her recent growth spurt, she was too big. 

"Tub now" my mother spoke again and my sister understood immediately. 

As the man began kicking at the door I saw through a crack in the almost closed door. 

My mother preparing herself for the worst. 

We locked eyes as she said what would soon be her final words 

"I love you, my girls" 

The door gave out, and without asking any questions the man shot my mother. 

Her womanly-built frame collapsed as the bullet made contact with her fragile chest. 

Walking out, heading to my father's office the men left my mother's lifeless body like scum. 

My sister, thinking the coast was clear, arose from her position looking over my mother. 

Her knees gave out, and she hugged my mother's body. 

"All you had to do was shut up and shhh" she said 

Though not looking at me, I knew she was talking to me. 

My heart began aching in my chest. 

My breathing began picking up speed, I wanted to move and get out.