II

Chapter 2 | HITCHHIKING

The timber lorry driver ends up stopping the large semi at the last second. The high pitched screeching of tires fills my ears, causing me to cringe at the intolerable sound.

I look up at the enormous white truck from my spot on the side of the road and slowly retract my arm from where I was holding out my thumb in the typical hitchhiker stance.

I had been standing there with my thumb up and out for about 40 minutes, having only three cars pass by me until the big logging truck in front of me had appeared, almost taking my arm off in the process.

From my spot on the white, snowy ground, I look up and peer through the windshield of the semi as a person's silhouette leans over the seats, disappearing from my view until the door nearest to me swings open.

I'm met with a woman who looks to be in her early forties, making me hopeful that I probably won't have to punch someone who likes me a bit too much. But then again, can you really judge or trust anyone based on their age and gender? Anyone can do bad things, and anyone can be a creepy lowlife who never showers.

The woman's oily, shoulder-length hair frames her cold, weather-beaten face, while her red hair itself is mostly covered by the furry trapper hat she wears.

I can't hold myself back from stupidly thinking, 'What if she stopped because we're wearing matching hats?'

Her thin, reddish-brown eyebrows furrow together as she looks down at me, and her hard, questioning eyes sweep over my tall figure as I meet her gaze.

Trying my best to be polite, I ask, "Hi, may I bother you for a ride?"

She looks at me, pursing her thin, narrow lips, while her eyes scan over my bag and worn-out appearance. The wrinkles on her forehead become more and more prominent as she finally looks me in the eyes again. I can't tell what color hers are from down here, but they look cold.

That honestly doesn't surprise me, though.

Everything here is cold.

She thankfully doesn't mention the fact that I was standing dangerously close to the road, probably because she's relieved that I didn't mention how she almost took off my arm.

"I don't like being bothered." She says, barely managing to raise an eyebrow.

If you know you're unable to raise an eyebrow, why try? Is she not aware that the tiny little thing barely moved a quarter of a millimeter?

I'm about to answer nicely, contrary to my thinking, when I'm interrupted by the redhead continuing on.

"But, I suppose it all depends on if I'm going to the same place as you, girl." She says, her voice tight.

I smile, immediately brightening up.

This is it.

I straighten, putting my shoulders back and lifting my chin up, locking away all my insecurities with the key of confidence.