XLI

Chapter 41 | FINAL WARNING AND A LAST GLANCE

Silence follows everywhere he goes, apparently, I think to myself as he follows me into the tavern.

As soon as I stepped in, a few heads turned in my direction. As soon as Vaughn appeared behind me, however, everyone paid attention, whether out of intimidation or attraction.

I scoff soundlessly to myself, taking note of the people in here. There is not that many, maybe ten seated throughout the room, and two sitting at the bar.

I don't recognize any, minus Thor, who sits in the corner with his one eye glaring in our direction. Or mainly at Vaughn, probably.

Where's Roan?

I begin to make my way over to the bar, where Nina stands, smiling.

"Mikaere!" She greets somewhat loudly, and I freeze instantaneously, dread saturating me.

I didn't see Roan when I stepped in, and she didn't say it that loud, but...better safe than sorry. Right?

She seems to come to a realization all of a sudden, throwing me an apologetic glance as she disappears to the kitchen in the back.

Then, someone, who I glance to the side and understand to be Vaughn, puts a hand on my arm, smoothly trying to guide me to a seat at the bar.

"Why do you look like you want to avoid something?" I accidentally ask him, but then decide that I'm genuinely curious to know.

What could he be so desperate to avoid all of a sudden? I have not one idea as to what it could be.

"Jane!"

Nevermind.

Who it could be...the situation is much clearer now.

Is that the real reason why Nina disappeared into the kitchen? She saw that he was coming?

She could have at least tried to warn me.

I fake a smile, turning around after Vaughn's hand drops from my arm. "Heyyy, Roan," I greet.

He steps forward, lifting his arms, and immediately I feel a slight fight or flight response begin to kick in. No hugs. No way. Not from him.

I try to inconspicuously take a step back, and at the same time, I hear someone lowly clear their throat.

I glance back up at him in time to see him hold out his hand: "Roan."

He speaks once again, at a normal-people level. Why does he talk so...almost softer to me? He never speaks quietly if we're around anyone else, I notice.

"Oh, uh, Vaughn, right? I, uh, didn't see you there," he tries to joke but utterly fails, laughing awkwardly soon after. He quickly stops when he sees Vaughn's very unimpressed expression, opting to wisely shake his hand.