XX

Chapter 20 | AN OXYMORON AND A DEATH SPOT

The loud sound of Moose barking at the vicious feline gets louder.

One word is instantly put into my mind: cougar.

Holy crap.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I throw on my coat and quickly put on my boots, about to open the door a slight bit to look outside when I hear the gunshot.

I jump, cringing at the amplitude.

It's loud, silencing any noise from the wild animal.

An oxymoron: deafening silence.

I've never heard a gun go off that close to me before, and it's something I am not fond of at all.

I open the door and peek outside, barely seeing the outline of Moose standing in front of a dead lynx in the moonlight.

Oh. So it wasn't a cougar.

However, I see no sign of Vaughn.

Making sure to grab my hatchet, I step out and close the door behind me, walking down the front steps with the flashlight lighting up my way.

I slowly and carefully make my way over to the puma, glancing around me to try to find the creature's killer.

"I can't believe you killed it," I say, trying to find out where he is.

"And if I hadn't killed it?" A voice comes out of nowhere. "Moose was going to use his invincible fur to save himself? The deer was going to come back to life and run away so as not to be eaten by it? I would have been safe and sound here?"

Eyebrows furrowing, I glance up, scoffing when I see where Vaughn is. I accidentally blind him with my phone's flashlight for a split second, too. Oops.

Oh well.

"Wow," I say.

"And, you. If you came out and I hadn't killed it, you were going to defend yourself with that small hatchet? Or were you just planning on blinding it?"

I ignore that pointed, valid statement in order to focus solely on his location.

"I cannot believe you."

"What?"

I shake my head. "No words."

I can't see his face, but I can barely make out his outline in the moonlight from down here.

He's about 25 feet up in the tree hammock, the one that he originally wanted me to sleep in above the wolves.

Vaughn would rather sleep in a tree hammock with the wild dangers rather than sleep near me in a cabin? Ridiculous.