VI

Chapter 6 | BOUNTY HUNTER

Grace pulls open the door forcefully, walking inside like she owns the place.

What a queen, I think.

I can't help but always admire the tiny, short women who act so incredibly tough.

"Jason!" She yells louder than what is probably necessary, and I hear a loud crash, and multiple curses come from a room in the back.

I take a moment to look around the convenience store; it's small, but it has a variety of tightly-packed things ranging from coffee mugs and chocolate to deer calls and pocket knives. There are about four aisles, and there's one restroom in the back. The walls are log cabin styled, while the floor is just a dirty cement. There's a hallway to the left, which is where the crashing noise came from.

Then, a man who looks to be in his late twenties to early thirties smoothly walks out from the hallway back to the counter where the register is. He's a couple of inches taller than me with an athletic build. He has brown hair, which is almost shoulder length and a clean-cut face.

His face is...not bad at all, really. And, his light blue eyes somehow appear dark as he looks at me for a moment.

Then, he looks at Grace, "Jason will be out in a moment. He needs a bit of time to recover from his unfortunate little fall."

"Of course he does," she says to him, then adding, "Who the heck are you?"

Oh, I thought she knew him.

The man smoothly leans against the counter in front of him.

"Who's asking?" His voice is rough, and he speaks in a low tone, so it's almost hard to understand him.

I raise an eyebrow and almost laugh when Grace glares at him coldly.

"Grace Cameron. Now answer my question."

I'm actually a bit surprised when he does. If I were in his place, I wouldn't answer.

But maybe that's just me and my rude self.

"I'm Roan, Dean's brother."

Dean. I've always hated that name.

"And, why are you here at the counter instead of Dean?" Grace questions.

"I came to visit him, and when Jason told him to go run an errand, the short annoyed man also ordered me to take his place until he got back."

"And you listened to that lowlife?"

He chuckles, "There's really nothing better to do here in this pathetic little town."

I smile before realizing I'll be living in a small town for who knows how long.

Then, the smile instantly falls off my face.

I've been solely concentrated on getting there; what am I going to do once I finally arrive? Besides finding out what happened to my uncle, of course.