XIII

Chapter 13 | THE MEETING

The joy of him finally arriving doesn't last very long, though.

As I move my duffle bag out in front of me, set the ax down on top of it, and very slowly stand up, I hear the click of a rifle.

Without a thought, I raise my hands.

"Seriously? A gun? What, have you not deemed me worthy of the usual bow and arrow target practice?" I can't help but question.

After all, it has to be him.

The birds, the living out this far away from civilization thing, the silence.

The silence, which is what I'm given in reply.

"If I turn around, will you shoot me?"

Silence.

Man, he really doesn't like to talk, does he?

"I'm going to take that as a yes, so I'm not going to risk it. Honestly, imagine coming all this way from Washington only to get shot by the man who I've tried to so hard to get to."

Good! Now I should have piqued his interest a bit, so he'll have to hear me out!

"My name is Mikaere Eriksen. I'm assuming you're Vaughn Westergaard, my uncle John Agner's friend. I-"

"John Agner is gone."

If there had been cute little birds singing right now, they would have stopped. His voice--it wasn't harsh, worn down, or cold like I was expecting. Instead, it was soft and quiet, but deep. Deeper than Roan's voice, actually. And, he sounds...young?

And, I know it sounds weird to examine the way someone talks, but what else do I have to base my analysis of him on?

But, focusing on his words.

"Yes, I know that," I reply to him.

"Then, why are you here?" I really could get used to hearing that voice; it's a shame he supposedly doesn't like talking. But then again, I have to respect his decision. Talking usually isn't my favorite activity, either.

"It would be easier if I just showed you his letter before I tried to explain verbally."

After all, the only thing I would probably manage is to stumble over my words.

It really does suck when your mind is verbose, but everything else is inarticulate.

"He wrote a letter?"

"A few, actually, years ago. But, the last one he ever wrote to me was in February of 2013."

"Where is it?" He asks.

"My bag."

"Get it."

"Are you sure you won't shoot me?"