XVIII

Chapter 18 | MOOSE

Chapter 18 | MOOSE

I wake up to my face being licked.

My first thought is: Oh my God, Vaughn is insane. However, I don't think that his tongue is enormous, long, flat, and...slobbery?

My eyes fly wide open as I quickly sit up. It's still dark out, meaning it's before 9 am, and before me in the firelight stands an adorable dog.

It's a huge dog, brown, and incredibly fluffy. Long ears, kind eyes, a patch of white fur on its chest. It sure looks like a Newfoundland to me.

And, the drool only seems to confirm and solidify that assumption.

"Oh, my God! Vaughn has a dog!"

I look around for the man, but when I don't see him, I go back to petting the sweet canine in front of me.

"Hey, you. You a good dog? Hm?"

I pat its head and rub its ears as it continues to try and lick me.

"What's your name, buddy?"

"Moose."

I glance up to see Vaughn standing at the entrance with a frying pan and a bow and arrow.

I'm a bit confused as to why he has the bow and arrow right now, but I just nod and smile, going back to paying attention to Moose.

If he were a black Newfie, he would kind of look like a black bear. However, the name still suits him. Moose.

Moose plops down beside me, partially on my blankets, but I totally don't care, because he rests his head on my lap.

I pet him as he sighs in contentment.

What a sweet dog.

My mind recalls talking to Roan about how knowing a dog's personality can give you insight into their owner's nature.

However, I don't read too much into it this time. I definitely have no idea what Vaughn is like.

Roan.

I wonder what he's doing now. Is he still in Chickaloon, or did he go back to his brother?

Is-

Wilson.

The name jumps back into my head in correlation with Roan, and suddenly I remember clearly now. That day when he showed me his license in his wallet. It read: 'Roan Wilson, Bounty Hunter.'

And this Wilson guy was the one John wasn't too 'keen' on.

I'm about to ask Vaughn about it some more before I see what he's doing.

Which is frying up some meat over the fire.

And, there's clearly only enough for one.

I notice that the sun is beginning to rise, and faint light is flooding the sky and taking away some of the forest darkness.