LI

Chapter 51 | THE SD CARD

The first thing I see when I come down the stairs with my duffle bag at nine in the morning is a familiar family seated at a table in the corner, enjoying a syrup-filled breakfast.

I smile when they wave me over, and when I notice Nina and Henry come out of the kitchen area, I smile in a silent 'good morning' to them.

"Hey, guys! Back for a visit again?"

"Yeah," Hayley nods, "Vanessa's idea."

Vanessa smiles at me, and I instantly see what's about to happen as she blindly reaches for her orange juice.

"Wait-"

Too late. William's mug of coffee is knocked over and spills all over the table, dripping down onto the floor.

She screeches, standing up from the table, managing to avoid getting any on her lap. However, some of it somehow manages to get on her legs as she starts to cry. "Hot! Hot! It's burning me, it's in my boots, too, mom-"

My eyes widen, not sure what to do, exactly, as her parents try to calm her down, and Nina and Henry come over.

"Here, I'll get a towel," Nina says. "I have an extra pair of socks her size that you can have. Mikaere--would you mind running upstairs to Rachel's room? In the chest at the end of the bed, there should be some socks that will fit her."

I nod, slightly confused as to why Henry can't do it, but nonetheless start to quickly make my way to their niece's old room.

Through the door to the fireplace room, up the stairs, and to the right.

I quickly move to the chest and find a pair of pink socks. Standing up, I'm about to the move to the door when the snow globe catches my eye once again.

It really does look like the ones I had back in Washington.

It wouldn't hurt to quickly see if the lights turned on, would it?

I've been burned by coffee before; it's not like she's in excruciating pain right now. At least, I hope not. Then, I'd feel really mean.

Besides, when else am I going to get a chance to see if the lights turn on?

It'd be weird any other time; at least now, I've been given a chance. I sigh, shaking my head. Sometimes I really do hate how curious I can be.

Moving to where it's placed by the mirror, I set down the pair of socks and pick up the snow globe.

Looking at the bottom of it, I see a switch.

So it does turn on.

Except, when I slide the switch, nothing happens.

Maybe the batteries don't work.

So, I open up the compartment, and right away, my vision slightly contracts.