XLVIII

Chapter 48 | IRRATIONAL JEALOUSY AND PANCAKES

It's not back to feeling cold like I thought it would be.

Sure, for the most part, we've both been locked in silence for the past two days, but we haven't gotten distant from each other like I thought we would have.

I thought losing Moose would cause Vaughn to withdraw himself from all socialization with me, but instead, he's remained the same.

Sure, there's no more happy chit chat, and there is less talking, but he did tell me a couple of stories about Moose when I asked him to.

My favorite was hearing about how Moose was terrified of the water and absolutely hated it, which is ironic considering how much Newfies usually love water. But once, when Vaughn decided to try and bring him swimming, Moose thought he was drowning, and started panicking.

So, he charged in and swam up to him, grabbing his forearm with his mouth and trying to pull him to shore.

That was the first and last time he went in the water--when he thought Vaughn was in danger.

I cried when I heard that one, much like when I visited his grave the following day, saying goodbye.

Packing up my bag with the things I'll need for my week in the village, I feel guilty for leaving so soon after Moose died.

I feel as if I should stay and offer moral support, but then again, Vaughn probably wants me gone.

I watch out the window as the sun starts to rise, and glancing at my phone's time confirms that it's a little after 9 am.

Hearing movement to my right, I glance over to see Vaughn sit up, rubbing his eyes slightly.

"Morning."

"Morning," I reply.

He stands up, ruffling his hair a bit with his right hand. "Did you eat?"

"No."

If I did, he probably would have woken up due to the scent of it.

"Are you hungry?"

"No," I pause. "Are you?"

"I can wait," is all he says as he starts to grab his things. "You should eat something, though."

"You don't have to come with me, you know," I say softly, ignoring him. I don't want to eat right now. "If you don't want to, that's fine."

He turns, looking at me oddly. "Mikaere, I'm not letting you walk for three hours in the woods alone."

I merely decide to nod, opting not to insist that he stay.

If he didn't want to, he wouldn't.

"Okay, thank you."

Twenty minutes later and we're walking through the woods, both quietly considering and mulling over our own thoughts.