XL

Chapter 40 | SNOWBALLS AND SMILES

It has been ten days, almost a week and a half, since that two a.m. confession to Vaughn.

After I had finished telling him everything, he had been silent for a few moments, taking in all that I had told him. And then he quietly said something that surprised me: "I'm sorry that you had to experience that."

And, at that point, I was torn.

I know that it's just something someone says when they don't know what else to say, but one part of me didn't want him to be sorry or even say that he was. The other part of me was just surprised that he actually said those first two words.

When I didn't respond, he continued on, softly stating: "Thank you for telling me."

And in all honesty, the first statement, paired with the second, was enough to comfort me at that moment. Because coming from Vaughn, that was a lot.

And even so, I thought that just the fact that he listened was considerate enough on its own.

I had been apprehensive about telling him because I was afraid he would judge me and what I had done. And maybe he did.

But at least he did it wordlessly.

Since that night, however, we've spent our time going about our usual routines of chores and recreation. He's taught me how to make some more dishes, and while I still wrote all the recipes down in a notebook, I tried my best to remember.

He also eventually beat me at chess, which was quite a sad day, in my eyes.

I've gotten better and more consistent when shooting the bow, and now I bring it with me on every walk we go on. Vaughn insists on continuing on "making the rounds," even though I contend that it's pointless.

He's still a quiet man, time with me won't change his whole nature. However, all in all, we do talk more and spend more time together.

Maybe he feels that since I opened up to him, he should try to make an effort to do the same.

And hey, I'm not going to complain. I like learning more about the man, as I've always been quite inquisitive when it comes to him.

I mean, I have always known that I've liked mysteries. They're the genre I read the most.

And I'm even currently living one, with trying to find out what happened to John.

But Vaughn's also a mystery, as he still has not breathed a word about what he did that caused him to move out here.

I'm not sure if I'll ever know; all I do know, however, is that I refuse to push him to open up.

He will if he wants to.

Today is Friday, and I plan on leaving for the village in two days, on Sunday, December 15th.

I'm sure Vaughn will accompany me there, again.