XVII

Chapter 17 | TRAPS AND GROWLS

I say the first thing that comes to mind. "I got too hot."

It's a good thing he cannot see my bright red face right now, even though that would help to back up my idiotic claims.

His brows furrow, "It's below freezing."

I start to shiver from the cold. "Is it really? Certainly doesn't feel like it."

Well, it's not like I'm going to tell him I got scared. That's ridiculous.

He shakes his head, looking confused, but he doesn't say anything else.

Well, if I was worried about being attacked from behind, then I guess I could have just turned around...and put my back to the fire.

Wow, I really am dumb, aren't I?

Vaughn still seems very cold and distant, not warming up to me in the slightest. Yes, he talks to me more, but it's only the first day of knowing him. I highly suspect that once he learns what he wants to know about me, then he no longer will talk to me. And that's fine with me.

"Okay, that's enough surviving," I say quietly to myself, even though I know he can hear me as I scoot back to the fire.

The fire.

I don't know why it isn't making me panic by bringing back the recent events of my life. Maybe because I didn't actually see the house burn all that much.

Her screams, however...

I shake my head, forcing them out. Then, I reach into my bag and grab my tablet, looking at the time.

5:29 pm.

It's only 5:30? Seriously? Oh my God, can't this day just end? I just want there to be light, so I can begin learning and trying to find out what happened to John.

"Are you tired?"

I look up at Vaughn. "No, but when I am, make sure I'm actually asleep before you start trying to kill me."

He shakes his head, "I told you. I'm not going to be the one to kill you."

I nod, "Oh, yeah, that's right. The wolves will."

"Or the cold."

"Nah, I'm totally dying from the heat right now," I lie. "If anything kills me, it won't be the cold."

He doesn't look like he believes me one bit.

Too bad.

"Try to sleep. As soon as you're awake, you'll go hunting."

What? "You're joking."

"Survival."

I decide not to protest right now, letting his words hang like icicles in the frozen air. I lay down on my left side, turning my back to the fire and Vaughn, snuggling under the bedding.