Chapter Sixteen

We arrived at a motel not too far from where the ferry was docked. Our hotel plan canceled due to some of our very visible injuries. Nick had a cut on his arm, and Tanner had a dislocated rib. As for myself, a couple for scratches and a bruise on my left shoulder along with a possible concession with how many times I've taken a hit to the head today. My priority was tending to the guy's wounds first.

Tanner was grumbling while he was resting, but I could tell it was getting hard from to breath. Nick walks into the bathroom and says, "Take care of him. I'll be fine once I take a shower."

He closes the door behind him as I told Tanner, "Stand up." Tanner very slowly takes his time as he stands up and puts one hand on my shoulder to brace himself. "On three," I warned him.

"Okay," he replied.

"One." I counted out and then popped his rib back in place.

Tanner slumps back down on the bed as I went into the bathroom to check on Nick. Nick says to me, "I'm almost done."

"How much time do we got?" Tanner asked.

Nick answers with a loud grunt, "About an hour and forty-five minutes."

I told both of them, "I'm gonna go put some of this stuff in the car." They nodded as I walked out. I opened the trunk and tossed in my bag with some of my clothes. When I closed the trunk, there was a reflection of a huge man standing behind me. I quickly turned around and, unfortunately, didn't have enough time to react as he grabbed me by the throat with both hands.

 I quickly turned around and, unfortunately, didn't have enough time to react as he grabbed me by the throat with both hands

This had to have been 6' 4", I'm only 5'9". I have this giant trying to choke me to death. During which he says to me, "This is for my wife Ingrid you little bitch!"

Just when I felt like I was on the verge of death, it was like I could hear Jon's voice in the back of my head.

Promise me you will do whatever it takes to survive

I knew what I had to do because it was the only way I was going to make it out of this alive. I took my left arm and slammed my elbow down as hard as I could to break free from his death grip. Once his hands were off my neck, I again used my elbow to hit him in the face. He stumbles back and says to me in anger, "You broke my nose!"

"Plenty more where that came from," I replied.

Everyone in my life has told me that it takes thirty seconds to make a life-changing decision. With this one, I knew it was going to be a significant impact on my own life. I watched as Ingrid's husband pulled out a knife from his coat, and he then tried to rush me with it. Before he could even touch me, I pulled out my silencer and ended his life with three shots.